Chapter 24: You're worst than your mother.

Tuesday 20th July.

We stood in the cemetery as they lowered the coffins into the wide holes in the now muddy ground. The rain has been drizzling none stop all day giving that gloomy effect. Kym is holding on to a weeping Erica in a strong embrace, silent tears are falling from Shaniah's eyes while Money held her hand. Wayde has to show a single expression of any emotion but his husband and kids did. Jahseh hasn't cried yet and neither have I know it's coming but the way his hand latches unto mine when they start to throw the dirt. Everyone throws a handful, adding one for each absent child. 

The family members of the friend, Devon, whom I did not know, were the first to leave. The rest of the crew was all Kian had so we had three nights of wake and prayer, where the pastor came over for most of the time at his house where it took place, and led us, singing spirituals and beating African drums.

Jahseh, Money, Shaniah, and I are leaving for Italy in the morning to call in a favor from the inside, and then I have to go to Mexico to talk to some suppliers. I also have to pay the judge extra to bring my mother's cases up. In Italy, I have to meet  Mr. Vito, a family friend, and in Mexico, I'm meeting an underboss in the cartel. I want to shut down all drug supplies for a few weeks meaning I gotta make some big deals and let them hold it for me. I don't want any cocaine and neither does Jahseh, so I'm sending my mother's friend in Russia a little gift. Fuego is going to lose all the money that she thinks she owns soon. It might sound easy but the ride has just begun. 

We're sending Ann-Marie and Sherene to Trinidad to stay in a beach house. She didn't want to leave but it's for her safety. All of us were walking down the street to where our cars were parked. Everyone except Wayde is going to be staying at Jahseh's for the night and Naomi is going to Barbados with her Kym's mother from this evening to keep them safe along with Kym's baby. Erica is still scared that she is pregnant as the time for her period is nearly over and I've been there as much as I could but Kym's the one who's closest to her at the moment. 

When we arrived in the hall, Jahseh said, "Don't yall walk in my apartment with those clothes or shoes," while stripping to his briefs, already barefooted, walking inside and returning with towels for everyone. We put the clothes in a garbage bag to carry to the cleaners. 

My phone rang as I walked inside. It was a collect call from the prison, my mother obviously, "Daniella baby, listen to me. I need you to be safe. Take care of yourself and do not trust anyone who has breathed the same air as Fuego lately, tell Vito I said hello when you go there and that I'll visit him soon. You fight fire with fire these rounds and repent later. You'll find out something when you go there and I need you to promise that you won' hate me. We had no choice, I love you, my child, "And with that, she hung up. 

What is she talking about?

Wednesday 20th at 7:00 pm. 

After a ten-hour flight and an hour ride to Mr. Vito's mansion, we were finally here. If we weren't so dazed with sleep still, we might have taken time to admire the palace this mysterious man called home. We stepped out of the car that he sent for us, being welcomed in by a maid. Shaniah was officially cleared to move around again and although she was doing that already, she was busier than before, keeping up with our stride. Jahseh hardly cried at all but he did when we were in the bathroom together last night but today, everyone had a 'deal with it' attitude.

When we reached inside the board room, the lady came by offering sweets, Money was the only one who accepted, taking three and Shaniah smacked him upside the head when she was gone mumbling something about  'embarrassing her' and 'greedy ass'.

I was a bit nervous, and Jahseh could sense that so he held my hand whispering in my ear, "You don't show no fear around people like this. You know what you came to do."