CHAPTER 15: OUR HANDS ARE TIED

THERNICY'S POV

"Who else knows?" I finally ask after processing all the information I was being given and regained my composure.

Can't believe they knew she was awake and well. Before letting me drown in the guilt.

"So you and Mercy in the hall way was also acting?" I couldn't help but ask. And the color drained from Jaden's face.
Guess he didn't see that coming.

Mercy and Norah at this, decided to turn for the bedroom.

Guess that leaves the two of us.
But why did they go. Norah certainly wasn't there and they weren't doing anything wrong, were they?

"What were you guys talking about?" I break the silence while releasing a nervous laugh right after. He's now moving towards me with a pleading look that proves that there's more to the scene than I previously thought.

"It's not what it looked like, I- we-
Okay, It was what it looked like." He stutters and leaves me stunned.
He's only done that twice. And on both occasions he was lying.
First it was when I asked him if he had a crush on our circle of friends back in high school after he just joined our English class that we all shared in the first term as he had just been transferred from Philadelphia.

The other time was when he didn't want to admit to liking the new intern we were working with last year's first quarter at the Facility.

"What exactly do you mean? You guys are back together or what?"
I tried to ask with a confident tome but how it cracked was beyond my apprehension.

"Wait! No.
I wouldn't do that to you. I thought you meant... Anyway what exactly did you hear?" He resolved before confessing with a little less stuttering this time.

"Enough to know you didn't want anyone ease dropping and with how close you both were I guess I understand everything now." I manage to rearrange my running thoughts and it's hard not breaking down right now.

I was so close to finding something I thought would be special.

It seems Star was right. I don't deserve to be happy after all.
I mean who likes the person their friend just had a fling with.

I mean they've crushed on each other for so long and here I was throwing myself at him like an easy go.

"You're not like that! Stop beating yourself up. What you saw was nothing worth jeopardizing what we have right now between us. I just need Time before I am ready to tell you the truth. Trust me, please?" He pleaded as if reading my mind and seeing through my doubts.

This dude is surely psychic or maybe am just too open a book, that everyone sees through me. Why should trust him?
I do want to but why?

I was angry for not seeing the bigger picture and not knowing that certain things were too good to be mine.

My own friends decided to hide that they knew what Star did and yet I was blaming myself all this time. I was even scared to see most of them because of what I thought they'd think of me.

It was taking me longer than it should, processing everything. It was all beyond my ability especially that I hadn't had anything energy-giving to eat since we left the Oregon.
Explains why I felt like I was losing consciousness as his figure begun to blur and darkness flowed through my brain as I fell to the hard flooring.

★★★

CHRISTOPHER'S POV

"I think it's time we talked, don't you agree babe?" I moved over to the sofa beside her bed.
She looked so beautiful on her bed without any thing like dark energy to stain her so perfect features. Till she smirked.

"Okay, what is it? Why do you always have to ruin my plans? You should have just left when you could cause now you'll be on the receiving end as well." She spoke with so much bitterness laced in every word. As she turned her head towards me. Her eyes were empty and bore into me so hard it was not easy keep the fear inside.

I was used to her antics by now but it still scared me Everytime she'd embrace her evil side.

"Just give it up already. Why do you want to live in the past for so long. I'm here aren't I? I love you but you make it so hard to believe in US!" I was just over and done with all this.

"US? Really? Isn't that ironic, coming from someone who went to kiss my own blood just to prove to himself that he really doesn't feel anything for her! You promised me that you'd never look at her like that! That you'd stay away. Well that was a really good way to show your intentions." She yelled after sitting up from her sleeping position. It was like all she wanted was just something or someone to blame. For what? I still didn't know.

"No. Don't pin this on me and act like I did anything wrong. I am the one who's always here. No matter what you do. I don't go around faking accidents and commiting crimes because am jealous of someone you kissed" I pointed.
But it was all a waste of words and energy.

"Oh, that wasn't about you love. It was a personal vendetta and nothing to do with your stupid fling with that whore.
But of course you don't have anything in you to do something so wild and risky, do you? I mean it's not like there's anything manly enough you've managed to do other than screw well. Cause if you asked me, I'd say you are basically just an average piece of crap. Good looking and rich as hell piece of crap by the way." she confessed and it was the best time to drop the bomb. My job here was done and she was not expecting it to hit her like it will right now.
It was obvious this person never really loved me to begin with. It was all just competition for her.

She's decided exactly where I stand in life, now let's see her accept the implications of her truth.

"I guess if it's like, I'd better leave then. For real this time. And am not going to be here when you decide to change your mind. I gave you six freaking years to see what you had. But you've been so focused on your so called vendetta that you forgot the important things in life.
IT'S OVER, I'm leaving in ten for Manhattan. I just wanted to be here when you got settled in since you're supposedly still unconscious for the time being. So don't be surprised when you finally wake up and I'm not around to entertain your shit.
Have a good life Star." With that I stood up and left her with an expression I'll never forget.

Regret.

It wasn't easy but I needed this closure if I wanted something better for both me and her.

Fuck, it hurts like hell. I could just go back an- no this has to end now!
I shut the door with one more glimpse of the live of life- not.

★★★

EMMANUEL'S POV

"I thought we switched them? How can she be unconscious still? Have called Lance to check on her?" I scurry out of my apartment as I reach for my keys, to drive to Jaden's neighborhood.

I was only renting  an apartment in New York because we had a number of offices in New York too. Other than the ones in Chicago which Anne promised to take care of as I flew in a couple hours after Jaden informed me of Thernicy's condition after they arrived yesterday.

"I don't know why she's not waking up. He came by but left like an hour ago.
Said I should call you and you'll be able to help out more since he's got a shift right now."
Jaden said with fear laced in his tone.
Finally, he's getting the one thing he's been looking for all this time.
Can't believe he's been hangover her since the first lunch they shared. Dude couldn't stop talking about her but soon shut everyone off when we learned about her crush over Christopher.
It was hard acting like he was interested in the other twin instead.
I seriously can't understand or imagine how he must have felt when she didn't wake up. It must've been hell. And now she's gone again. He must be dying to go through it all over again.

Will he ever tell her the truth? Nah, he's too stuck up to.

"Okay! I'll be there in ten.
And Christopher is coming over with Terry. It appears they met up in Manhattan sometime yesterday. Be ready. I feel there's something coming and it won't be anything good." I inform him and I Could literally feel his uneasiness through the phone before I cut the call. And drove like a maniac into the streets of the Big Apple.