Chapter 21

Shanya's POV

"When I got to Leah's house I couldn't stop shaking, my mind was fucked, I couldn't believe what I had seen.

Shane and Germs kept calling me, but I couldn't answer the phone. For years I've known them and never in my wildest thoughts did I ever think that they could kill someone and especially in that gruesome manner.

I still couldn't understand why Killa kept calling Shane the Don. I knew there was a Don by the name of Claw, but I've never heard anyone call Shane that. I couldn't sleep, every time I closed my eyes, I saw Killa's head rolling off the table.

At the time I had just started Community College and when I walked out of school the Monday afternoon Shane was there waiting for me. My heart has never beaten as fast as it did that day, I was sure he was going to do to me the same thing he did to Killa.

I told Leah that if she didn't hear from me, she should tell my mother everything. She told me not to go with Shane, but I feared him, so I went into his car.

"Queen come yah." He said pulling me into a hug.

His hug was no longer comforting, I felt like I was in the arms of Satan himself.

"Come wi need fi talk." He said as he drove off the compound and went to Dead End. I was glad that he didn't bring me to his house, I didn't want to go back there. He parked at the far end closer to the airport.

"Yuh see wah go dung?" He asked and I could only nod. Maybe I should've said no because he may want to get rid of the witness.

"Mi wish yuh never see dat enuh Queen, mi did waan tell yuh everyting inna mi own time." He said and I still couldn't find the words.

"Breathe easy no Shanny, mi nah do yuh ntn." I let out the breath I didn't know that I was holding.

"You and Germs killed him," I said and he smiled.

"Yah d pussy deserved it, mi tell d man dem long time seh yuh off-limits, Killa violate mi orders." His eyes were cold.

"You're the Don? Are you Claw?" I asked.

"Claw a mi big Bredda, him put mi in charge a few years now because him a deal wid some adda tings." I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"So yuh couldn't tell me? Where does Germs fall in all of this?" I had to know.

"A neva time fi yuh know yet Queen. Germs a mi right-hand man, mi sharpshooter." He says looking at me.

I take some deep breaths. "Germs?"

"Queen, a my fault dat, mi tell d man dem seh mi no waan yuh know wah a gwaan until mi did ready. If mi did tell yuh, yuh wouldn't deh wid mi and a long-time mi waan yuh." He says and I still couldn't believe that Germs kept that from me.

"Is time yuh tek yuh place a mi side. Imagine wah wi can do wid your brains and my skills." He kissed me but the butterflies that would normally fly around in my stomach were dead.

We sat in the car for hours and he told me about his dealings. I couldn't believe that I was so naive. He ran the largest scamming ring in the parish, he dealt drugs and guns, he did murder for hire and stolen cars.

I couldn't understand how he did it even though he was illiterate. I was now made aware of every operation, and he started giving me small tasks to carry out.

I was put in charge of his money, I would track everything that came in and everything that went out. Friday evenings after school was pay day for the men, they were paid based on the jobs they carried out during the week but even if they didn't do anything they got a little money. Shane said they still had families to take care of.