Chapter 23

Alex's POV

Sunday 1:14 AM

Shanya is finally asleep, it took me a while to calm her down and get her to sleep. She's fearful and that's understandable.

After she finished telling me what happened I told Leah to pack her bags and come with us. With or without Jubba I was not leaving her there, she's also asleep in the guest bedroom downstairs.

As I sit on the balcony, I let the anger that I've been holding back run freely through my body. I failed her, I had one job and I failed. How could she have gone through all of that without me knowing?

I knew that she was abused but I never knew the extent of it. Now I fully understand why she was so hurt when I left and why she started having panic attacks again. I was no different from Shane, that night I used fear to control her and brought back all those dark memories.

Fuck! I want to find Shane right now and empty my gun in his face, but I can't act without Anthony. I am upset with Ethan, he betrayed all of us and left us behind to pick up the pieces. I had no idea that Ethan was collecting information about Claw's operations. If he had told me, we could have put a stop to all of this, and Nya wouldn't have been a target.

Shane and Ethan never got along, he felt that Claw preferred Ethan and would hand over the business to Ethan instead of him. Now I know for a fact that Shane targeted Nya as revenge. Ethan only got involved with Claw to protect his mother and sister but look at the shit that we are now in.

After Ethan's burial, I wanted to move Shanya and her mother out of the community but her mother is stubborn and didn't want to leave her home. Her mother told me that Shanya was getting close to Shane and that's when I sent Jubba to Mobay to keep an eye on her.

When Jubba went to Mobay he got a place in the community to live and befriended Germs. He became a part of their ganja and gun trade which led to him working closely with Germs.

Jubba's background made him the perfect man for the job, he was able to blend in and gain Germs' trust. He started helping Germs with his contract killings which brought them closer together. In Mobay Germs is one of the best contract killers, hardly missing his mark but he had never met anyone like Jubba before. Shit, I've never met anyone like Jubba before, he's educated, fearless and most importantly he's a trained killer. We have an agreement so he does not kill without my permission and under no circumstances can he lie to me.

After their relationship developed, he told Germs that he was sent to protect Shanya. Initially, Germs was a little hesitant because he was loyal to his Don, but Shane was into a lot of things that Germs frowned upon. It was rumoured that Shane was having sex with children which Shanya confirmed tonight.

We didn't know about the abuse until Germs came to Jubba about it. He wanted to kill Shane, but Jubba told him that he had to be smart. Jubba offered to pay Germs to look out for Shanya, but he told him no, he said that she's his sister and what happened should never have happened on his watch.

Germs refused to go into details about the abuse, he just said that Shane hurt her and that he found her passed out on the floor. I felt helpless when I heard this because I was stuck in the States.

Germs remained by Shane's side as a favour to Jubba because he wanted to cut ties with Shane and start doing his own thing. He became our biggest ally and eventually agreed to work for us. He was instrumental in helping us catch Shane and he too wanted Shane dead because of how he hurt Nya.

One thing I know for sure is that anywhere I see Shane, I'm putting a bullet in his head. This time I'm not giving him a chance to come back, Anthony will have to find another way to get to Shane's brother.