Chapter 22

Shanya's POV

"After the incident at my gate, I avoided Shane for weeks and didn't accept his calls, I was done with him for good.

I went and purchased four flash drives and put all the information I had acquired on them. I gave one to Leah, hid one in my room, buried one behind Leah's house and kept one for myself.

When my brother died, I moved into his room since Mummy, and I shared a room. One day when I was rearranging the room, I found a portable money box under the dresser. The box was locked, and I was curious, so I searched for the key for weeks.

I couldn't find it, so I eventually gave up. After a few years the bottom of the dresser fell out and Mummy was sending it to be repaired. As I was removing the drawers, I saw that something was taped to the bottom of it. I pulled it and saw two small silver keys. I instantly knew what they were for, and I ran to retrieve the box.

When I opened it, there was a phone, fifty thousand dollars and lots of papers with numbers and names. There was also a map with different markings on it, I didn't understand what it meant so I left it alone.

Over time I used the box to hide things I didn't want my mother to find. I also used it to save money especially when Shane would give me money and I didn't want Mummy to know. I hid one of the keys at Leah's house and the other was always on my person.

When I went to hide the flash drive in the box the map caught my eyes. I opened it and realised that some of the markings were where Shane's drug trade took place and where the drug shops were. Some of the spots I didn't know but it piqued my interest and I pulled out the other papers from the box.

I knew for sure that Ethan was involved with Shane before he died. There were receipts and data from years ago like what I collected.

I pulled out a small book filled with names, some of which I recognised and others that I didn't. Shane's name was in that book with random letters and numbers beside his name. Other names had the same letters and numbers too, but I didn't know what it meant.

I knew for sure that my brother was putting together information against them. I quickly put the box in my bag and went by Leah's house. I told her what was happening and that she should hide the box.

I couldn't stay with Leah that night because I had to help Mummy with church the next day. When I came out of the taxi, it was minutes after nine and I hurriedly walked to my house.

My heart stopped when I saw Shane at my gate, I contemplated turning back but I knew he would only follow me.

When I got to the gate, I didn't acknowledge him, I just moved to open it.

"Queen mi waan chat to yuh." He said and I looked at him. He looked aged and his eyes were blood red.

"Mi no av ntn fi seh." I told him and he kissed his teeth.

"So yuh tink yuh can just lef mi so, yuh know how much years mi put inna yuh?" He asked and I opened the gate and walked through turning to close it.

Before I could close it, his hand was around my neck and his other hand covering my mouth. I tried to fight him, but he was too strong. "If yuh scream mi ago mek d man dem come shoot up yuh house and kill yuh idiot Mumma." I knew he wasn't joking and I remained quiet as he held a gun to my head and raped me at my gate.

When he was done he said "A yuh mek mi fuck dem, mi a yuh man and yuh no stop gimmie dead fuck! Get yuh fucking self togedda an find roun a yard and no mek mi affi come fi yuh."

I didn't go because I knew he was going to kill me. I went back to Leah's and stayed there for over a month. Leah told her father that she didn't feel safe taking random taxis anymore, so he got a driver to pick us up in the evenings. I saw Shane's car parked outside of the school many days, but I would hide in the back of the car, so he never saw me. I was happy that he never took any interest in knowing where Leah lived because he would have showed up there looking for me.