Chapter 36 - Longshot's Betrayal

-Maya's Point of View-

I'm here right now hiding behind one of the trees. Good thing I arrived here early, they are still yet to blow up the dam.

"Make sure you arrange these barrels properly, all of them have to be close to each other so that all would explode. If even one barrel got wet and didn't explode, you'll all hear from Jet," I heard Sneers command the other freedom fighters. 

All of the crew properly handled and carefully placed all the barrels filled with blasting jelly at the foot of the dam. It was all clustered together in the center. There were still some barrels left that are yet to be placed just across from where I was. 

Maybe I can put holes in those barrels so that there would be a leak and the blasting jelly would slowly pour out without them noticing. But first, I need to find a sharp object I can use to punch holes with. 

I panned my vision around to try to figure out where can I find such a weapon until my eyes landed on where Longshot was standing. He was leaning against a tree a few meters away from me. He was polishing the tip of one of his arrows. 

That's it! Arrowheads! They can be sharp enough to punch through the barrels! I need to get one of those. I stared at Longshot for a few more seconds before I started making a move. I just can't quite move on from my disappointment with him and the rest of his team.

I shook my head and then I hurriedly ran, hiding behind one tree after another. As soon as I got to the tree where Longshot was leaning on. I tried to quickly snatch an arrow from his bag. 

"Longshot. You're the pivotal step in this mission. You better not miss your shot," I suddenly heard Jet slowly approaching. I quickly backed my hand away and then I stood still behind the tree. 

"Those arrows better be sharp or else..." I heard Jet say but there was no reply from Longshot. "I trust that you'll do your part well," he continued and then I heard his footsteps slowly going away. 

"I will be viewing you all from the cliff on the other side of the river," he said and then he walked away. When I saw that everyone was looking at him, I hurriedly took an arrow from Longshot's bag and quickly ran to hide behind a bush. 

I checked to see if anyone noticed, but good thing— no one has. So I proceeded with my mission— which was to punch small holes in the remaining barrels. I sneakily ran towards the pile of barrels and then one by one I punched a hole in each. I made sure that it was unnoticeable. 

I was able to punch holes in more than half of what was left when I suddenly got pulled by the wrist. "UGH! LET ME GO!" I yelled. When I looked up it was one of the freedom fighters. 

"Well, well, well... What do we have here. Are you perhaps interested in joining the mission?" Sneers asked as he walked closer to me. I glared at him and didn't answer his question. "Sneers. She's been poking holes in the barrels," The Duke said. 

Sneers suddenly crossed his brows and he said, "Clog those holes with whatever we have and place those barrels near the dam." He was glaring at me as he commanded that. 

"You think you're smart?" he suddenly asked. "How could you just blindly follow Jet?! Are you really willing to kill all those innocent people?!" I shouted at him. "The fire nation would not have thought twice about killing us," he responded. "Is that why you're doing the same thing as them?" I asked once more. 

He didn't answer and he just stood away. I saw from a distance— Longshot who was watching the whole time. "Longshot! You once asked me if I could do the same thing to my mother's killer... I now have my answer, and my answer is NO," I said.