Chapter 28 - Waterbending Lessons

-Maya's Point of View-

I woke up earlier than the others, and as the usual thing we do every camping, I went out to grab some firewood, after fixing up my sleeping bag, so that I could prepare our breakfast. 

Just when I was about to start the fire, Katara suddenly sat up while rubbing her sleepy eyes. 

"You're up early Maya..." she said with a faint yawn. "Good morning!" I greeted back. "Great morning as well. Let me just fix my sleeping bag and then I'll go help you," she replied. 

"Sure thing! No rush!" I said. She packed up her sleeping bag, went up to the saddle, and then she came running towards me while tying up her hair. 

"Have you started the fire?" she asked. "Ugh... No..." I answered and then I let out an awkward laugh. "I've been rubbing these stones, but I still got no spark." I continued. 

"Here let me show you," Katara said and then she sat beside me. She took the two rocks from my hand and then she said, "You have to hit it hard and fast. You also have to do it closer to the dried leaves and twigs so that even if you make just a faint spark, the leaves will easily catch it." 

"Once you do all that..." she said and then she hit the two rocks towards each other. "Tada! Fire!" she exclaimed. I quickly fanned the small flame so that it would grow bigger and not burn out. 

"Thank you for the help Katara," I said. "No problem! What are you planning to cook anyways?" she asked. "I was thinking about vegetable stew. I figured you guys would like to have some warm comforting soup after all the tiring things we did yesterday." I answered.

"That's great! I'll go get the water. You go prepare the vegetables." Katara replied. I nodded my head and then she went out to do her part. 

I looked at the growing fire and then as I keep staring at it, a thought suddenly went into my mind. 

'Creating campfires would've been easy if I was a firebender.'

I stared at it for a few more seconds before suddenly realizing what I just thought of. 

WHY WOULD I WANT TO BECOME A FIRE BENDER?! Why the sudden thought? Where did that come from? That was seriously random. 

I shook my head then I stood up to go and get the vegetables so that I can prep them for cooking. That was a very weird thought Maya, why would you think of that all of a sudden?

After a few more minutes of prepping and cooking, it was finally time to have breakfast. 

"Rise and shine sleepy head!" Katara shouted at Sokka. I went towards Appa where Aang was laying down and I tried to wake him up, but even before I get to say a word, he already spoke. 

"I'm awake," he said. "Oh, how long have you been up?" I asked. "Couldn't sleep," he replied. Aang sat up while facing behind me. 

"Are you okay?" I asked. He didn't answer. I suddenly heard Katara's voice just beside me and she said, "Aang you're awake! Time for breakfast!" I looked at Aang who seems to have woken up on the wrong side of the bed. 

"Uh... We'll catch up with you later Katara. Go ahead and have breakfast first." I said and then I placed a hand on her shoulder. She didn't say another word and she walked towards the campfire. 

"Do you wanna talk?" I asked Aang. He's still facing his back at me. "No... I don't know..." he answered. I let a deep sigh as I sat behind him. "I don't really know what is going on inside your head but, if you're not going to have breakfast, then I won't as well. I'm going to just sit here until you feel better." I said.