Chapter 19 - Rescue Mission

-Maya's Point of View-

I went straight to the barn to call everyone for dinner. When I got inside, I saw that Aang was playing with Momo on top of Appa, and Sokka was preparing his bed on top of a pile of hay.

"Hey guys, dinner's ready," I said as I walk towards them. I look around to check if Katara was there but I didn't see her.

"Where's Katara?" I asked. "She's probably still with that Haru guy— probably talking about bending and magic," Sokka answered. 

"I wonder what's taking them so long?" Aang asked as well. "They're probably hitting on each other," Sokka answered again. 

"What? Do you think Katara likes him?" Aang suddenly asked. "Oh come on Aang, I know my sister very well..." Sokka continued. 

"Stop it Sokka! Don't jump to conclusions like that." I shouted at him. "Don't worry Aang, Sokka's just kidding with you," I said, and then I placed a hand on his shoulder. "Oh, I'm not kidding alright..." Sokka butted in. 

"QUIET!" I shouted and I threw a small stone at him. "Ah!" he shouted as he fell from the top of the hay to the ground. 

"Let's just go inside. Dinner's waiting for us." I said to Aang and we started walking outside the barn. "Hurry up there if you want to eat!" I yelled back at Sokka. 

Once we were outside the barn we suddenly saw Katara and Haru coming back from somewhere. 

"Oh! There you are Katara! Where have you two been?" I asked. "Uh... nothing. We just had a walk." Haru answered, but he seemed quite suspicious. 

"O-kay... By the way, dinner's ready. Your mom's waiting for us. Let's go in." I said. Sokka went outside of the barn and walked towards the house. Aang followed behind him still looking smug or something. 

I started walking to the house as well with Katara and Haru tagging behind me, but I suddenly heard Haru whisper something to Katara. 

"Katara, whatever you do, don't tell Mom what happened at the mine. She's going to be mad if she knew." 

I wanted to ask them what that was about but I suddenly felt shy. Maybe it's a personal matter between the two of them— OH MY GOSH KATARA, DON'T TELL ME...

No... Katara won't do that! I mean... They wouldn't— THEY SHOULDN'T!

All of us went inside the house, went straight to the dining area, and had a wonderful dinner. Everyone loved the soup Sonya made. We all had some chat and then when dinner was over, I offered to help with cleaning but Haru told me that it was fine. 

"The sun has already fallen, all of you should rest now, you'll be leaving tomorrow right?" Haru asked. I looked at him and then at Sonya. "Thank you for the dinner, and for everything else," I said and then I bowed down. 

After that, all four of us went back inside the barn. I set my sleeping bag beside Katara. Sokka, on my left, was on top of a pile of hay, Katara on my right, and beside her was Appa where Aang was laying on top of. 

Katara was holding the oil lamp which was the only light source we had. Once I was done setting up, I sat down on top of the sleeping bag. I didn't want to sleep just yet. For some reason, I'm still curious about what happened in the mine that Haru didn't want his mother to know about.

So I faced Katara and asked her, "So, you're going to tell us where Haru and you went?" 

She suddenly looked at me and said, "Just somewhere nearby... we talked about his father." I squinted my eyes as I look at her with doubt.