Eight

Eight

Vasily was humming. The older Lantsov showing any personality about anything was slightly concerning, and the humming was driving Aleksander nuts. The two of them were in the library, studying together. They were both on the football team together, and so was Vasily's younger brother, Nikolai. His family had plans for him to be a politician, while his younger brother was supposed to take over the family company. Both brothers were rich, arrogant, and drove him crazy half of the time.

"Dude, will you shut up? We're in the library." Aleksander said. "You've been humming that same damn song for the past five minutes. People are trying to study. Like me, for instance."

Vasily grinned. "Sorry, man. I'm just in a good mood. I've got a date for Friday."

"A date for Friday?" Aleksander said. "With who?"

"Alina Starkov."

Aleksander's nose still hurt after being punched by Mal Oretsev earlier that day. "Are you fucking kidding me?"

"Nope, I most certainly am not. We're going out on Friday. She was ranting about Oretsev again, and I kindly decided to be a gentleman and take her out."

Aleksander scowled. "You've got to be kidding me. You know that Oretsev is going to kill you, right?"

Vasily laughed. "Oh please, Oretsev won't do anything. I'm the one that keeps his accounts on his in order. He'd be too worried that I'd take everything from him."

"What do you mean, keep his accounts in order?"

Vasily looked up from the book that he was reading. "You don't know about Oretsevs little hobby?"

"We're not exactly friends," Aleksander reminded him, "of course I don't know about Oretsevs little hobby."

Vasily leaned forward, and whispered, "Oretsev runs an underground fight ring in the bar that he works. There is a back room, and the manager lets him do it on Fridays because it brings in so many people. He makes a killing off it, but Oretsev is terrible at math, so he has me keep the books for him to keep track of all of the bets and things. I know enough about him to get him kicked out of Ravka U if I wanted to, but he gives me a slice of the action. So Oretsev won't do shit when I go out with Alina. I'll probably fuck her, too."

Saints, Aleksander wanted to punch him. In fact, that was exactly what he did. He punched Vasily hard, on the nose. Vasily let out a cry as his nose bled. "Oretsev might let you do whatever the fuck you want, Lantsov, but I won't. You're calling Alina, and you're telling her the date is off. Don't forget, my father does business with yours and he could destroy you in minutes. We went to high school together. I've got enough shit on you I could get you disowned. Just so we're clear-----the only one who is going to fuck Alina Starkov is me."

"Fucking hell!" Vasily swore, staring in horror at the blood on his white polo shirt that was spewing from his nose. "Morozova, you're being an idiot. It's just some girl looking for a good time. Everyone knows she's been trying to lose her virginity for years."

"It's not some girl, and if you think that she is, then you shouldn't even touch her. Because if Oretsev won't kill you, I really fucking will." Aleksander stood up and glowered at him.

Vasily, clutching at his nose, laughed. "You think I'm afraid of you, Morozova? I've got shit on you too. I could ruin your life if you interfere with me and Alina."

"You can have any girl on campus," Aleksander said, "why don't you date someone else?"

Vasily smirked. "I don't want someone else. I want the little virgin that everyone seems to be obsessed with, including big, bad Aleksander Morozova. You had your shot. You failed. And now its time to let someone else claim her."

"I will kill you, Lantsov."

"Empty threats." Vasily smirked at him. "You don't have the balls. Besides, it doesn't matter what you do. Alina's made her choice, and she hates your guts. You are never going to have that girl, Morozova. I'll see to it. I promise you. I'll make her mine in every way that matters."

Aleksander lunged at him again, only to be grabbed by someone. He looked up to see Mal standing there, a seething look on his face. "What the fuck do you think you're doing Morozova?" Mal demanded. "Why the hell are you always suck a dick to everyone?"

Vasily looked from Mal, to Aleksander and smirked wider. "It's okay, Oretsev. Aleksander's just being Aleksander. An asshole."

"You don't know what he was----"

Mal glanced at Vasily. "Lantsov, is it true you asked Alina out? Safin swears that you did."

Vasily sighed. "Well, you know she was really upset today because of this asshole, and I think she just wants someone to protect her from him. We're just hanging out, that's all."

"Right," said Mal, "fine."

Aleksander scoffed. "That's it? No speech about cutting his balls off if he hurts her?"

Mal released him and glared. "I know Vasily. I trust Vasily. Unlike you, who is nothing more than a bastard."

Aleksander snorted. "Don't be an idiot, Oretsev. After all, we all know who the real bastard is."

It was Mal that lunged this time, and the three boys were in a fight. No one was sure who was punching what but then there was a loud whistle that made them all stop. They turned and looked to see a fuming librarian standing there. "OUT!" she hissed, in the loudest possible whisper that she could manage.

Aleksander, who had somehow wound up in a headlock with both Mal and Vasily keeping him in place, wrenched free. He glared at Mal. "If you think for one second Alina's safe with him, you're a fucking moron."

Mal sighed. "Alina's...Alina is an adult. She can make her own choices. It's time I let her."

Scowling, and limping from the beating he took, Aleksander grabbed his things, and left the library trying to ignore the overwhelming sense of dread he had in his stomach.