Ninety-one: One Year Later, Past

Ninety-one:

One Year Later, Past 

"Explain it to me again."

"What's there to explain, Mal?" Alina said. The two of them were sitting in The Dime Lions café together. There were only a few days left until their graduation. She and Mal had moved into an off-campus apartment. When Alina had been rescued by Mal first, they had made it to back to the Shu Han. Alina explained everything that had happened to her grandmother, who had been horrified enough she had given Alina her trust fund without question.

The Queen had also made some calls on their behalf to the University, and they were able to graduate on time after making up classes in summer school. But since Rasmus's death, and the forced abortion Alina had had to endure, the Queen had stayed away, only helping out financially. Alina's grandfather had been released from prison too, and it was him that helped convince his wife to let Alina return to Ravka.

"Why aren't you back with Aleks again?" Mal said. "I'm not stupid, Alina. I know you've driven to his apartment like a million times. I know that's where you go late at night when you think that I'm sleeping."

"He has a life," said Alina, "he moved on without me. That's fine. He didn't know if I was going to be alive or dead...and the way we got together was so twisted anyway, it doesn't matter. Besides, I'm not pregnant. I lost the baby."

"Lina," said Mal softly, "that wasn't your fault. You and me both know that."

"I know I just..." she hesitated.

"Rasmus is dead. You don't have anything to worry about."

"Rasmus might be dead, but the Fjerdian royal family is still very much alive. He had a brother, you know, and I'm just worried..."

Mal sighed. "You're worried that if you try to start something up with Aleks again, that they'll kill him, aren't you? For revenge against the prince?"

Alina nodded. "I already lost the baby. I don't...I don't want to lose him to."

"So, you won't see him at graduation?" Mal said. "Because, he's coming you know."

Alina scowled. "I still don't understand how the two of you became friends. You're supposed to be mortal enemies. You're supposed to be on my side."

"I am. But Aleksander's my cousin, Lina. He's the closest thing to blood family that I've got. I can't just let him wallow on his own. He's completely fucking miserable."

Alina rolled her eyes. "He didn't look miserable coming out of that club drunk with the Os Alta cheerleader hanging off of him. What was her name? Luda?"

Mal chuckled. "Yes, but I'll have you know it isn't very serious between them. He keeps on asking me about you. Wants to know when he can finally see you again."

"Never," Alina replied, "and it has to be that way. I'm not going to watch him get shot again, Mal. I just won't."

"Well, you know he won't stop. Not as along as he thinks there's a chance between you two."

Alina bit her lip. "I know. Which is why I need you to do something for me."

Mal raised an eyebrow. "What? You know I'll do anything for you Lina."

"Aleksander won't move on until he realizes that there is no chance for him and me. I want you to tell him that the two of us are dating now."

Mal coughed. "You can't possibly be serious! You want me to lie to him?"

Alina nodded. "Please, Mal. It's the only way that he is going to stay away from me is if he thinks that you and I are happy and together."

Mal sighed and ran a hand over his head. "I mean, I can do that Lina. But I don't know that he'll believe me. He knows we've got a long history together and that I pushed you off for your safety. He also knows how you feel about him."

"Please," she begged, "I don't have any real family. He's the only person that I care about besides you and Genya. He'll be the first person that they go after, if the Fjerdians decide to come and get their revenge. I can't have him thinking that there is hope for him and me."

"Are you sure this isn't just because you don't want to talk to him about what happened?" Mal said. "He was part of that trauma too, you know. He lost the baby too. The two of you should go through this mourning time together."

Alina shook her head fiercely. "No. He doesn't need to be around me. He needs to go back to his privileged, sheltered life and never think about me ever again. Please just...make him think that he has lost me, okay?"

Mal sighed. "Okay, Lina. If that is what you want. But you know...Nadia isn't going to be happy about this."

Alina sighed. "Just tell her it's a fib for me. I'm sure she'll understand. Besides, Aleksander and I are never going to see each other again. It doesn't matter."

"Right," Mal muttered, "right."