Twenty-nine:

Twenty-nine:

"Vasily knows." Those were the words that greeted him when he got back to the frat house. Aleksander looked back at Nikolai and ran his hands through his hair.

"Fuck." Aleksander sighed. "How the hell did he find out?"

Nikolai sighed. "Mom told him. There was that Lantsov Industries meeting, you know? And he was talking about Alina, and Mom got this weird look in her eyes and then...she told him everything. He hasn't said whether or not he plans on telling dad, but he loves mom enough I don't think he will. I kind of think he's already figured it out, but who knows?"

"Right. Right. Well, at least nothing happened."

"Explain it to me again. Because it still makes my head hurt."

"Your mom had a sister in Fjerda. The sister ran off with the Prince from Shu-Han, because they met when they were in college and the family didn't approve. That sister and the prince are Alina's parents. Both Shu-Han and Fjerda want Alina so that they can marry her off to some pretentious dick, and if Alina consents to either the Shu-Han or Fjerda she will be starting a war. So, it's very, very important she doesn't do that."

"How do you come in?"

"I just have to keep her safe and convince her to give up the title."

"And sleeping with her does that how?"

"I just need to get her in a compromising position, that's all. The bet is merely a means to an end. Nothing is going to happen. Just need enough of a set up that either family won't want to marry her off to anyone. But you know Alina. She doesn't want anything to do with me on a good day, and I've finally gotten her to like me of course her last text did just tell me to fuck off..."

Nikolai winced. "About that. Genya says that Baghra did the test."

Aleksander winced. "Oh, fucking Saints. You can't be serious. That Morozova bullshit she used to do to me when I was in private school?"

Nikolai nodded. "Alina's pretty upset. She's been muttering about murdering you since Sunday night. You're probably going to have to do something pretty big to get her back. Also, that's my cousin, you dick. Don't talk about compromising positions with her."

"Hey! I saved your ass from sleeping with her. Don't I get any credit?"

"Yes, you do," he said, "but that still doesn't change anything. You know what the family wants for her. Are you seriously going to go through with this bet?"

Aleksander made a face. "Do you honestly think I would take someone against their will?"

Nikolai made a face too. "Obviously not. But...you two have a vibe."

He coughed. "We have a vibe?"

He nodded. "You're very flirty."

"I've been flirty with you before. That doesn't mean anything."

Nikolai waggled his eyebrows. "You couldn't handle me, Morozova. But I mean it. This is different. This isn't some two-bit trophy wife you've been hired to seduce to make sure she violates her prenup. This is someone our age. She's smart, and pretty, and you know her. Are you really going to be able to walk away from her this time?"

Aleksander laughed. "Are you forgetting who you're talking to? Alina calls me The Devil. Everything is going to be fine, and she'll go run to Mal's arms, I'll prevent a war and everything will be nice and lovely."

Nikolai shook his head. "What are you going to do to get her back?"

"Flowers?" he suggested. "Chocolate?"

"I don't think she's going to go for either of those."

He snickered. "You didn't hear the noises she made when I got her The Grand Palace at lunch."

Nikolai made a face. "Please tell me that's not a euphemism."

"It's a very, very expensive dessert at The Crow Club."

"Right. Okay. New rule. No talking about my cousin in anything other than PG terms and if you hurt her, I'll kill you. Or I'll be progressive and let her kill you. Either way, you're a dead man."

"Noted. Suggestions for gifts?"

"Your head on a spike?"

"Something that doesn't involve me dying."

"I don't know. What do you get a girl that majors in cartography?"

"OH!" Nikolai grinned as if he'd just gotten the most brilliant idea in the world. "I've got an idea. Don't talk to her until I come back."

"How long is that going to be?" Aleksander asked.

Nikolai patted him on the shoulder. "Don't worry about. I've just got to make some arrangements. Hang tight, okay? Don't do anything stupid."

"LANTSOV YOU'VE GOT TO BE MORE SPECIFIC!"

It was too late though, and Nikolai had bounded down the stairs, out of the frat house leaving Aleksander very, very worried and very, very, confused. He looked at his cell phone, where the text from Alina was too tempting not to respond.

Fuck you. Two simple words that completely and totally gutted him.

The truth was this wasn't the first time he'd used someone to get information for his mom. He'd done this dozens of times. Probably more than that if he were completely honest. But Nikolai was right. It was different this time. Alina wasn't some girl.

His phone vibrated then, and Zoya's name flashed on the screen. He answered. "Hello?"

"Just so you know...Baghra said she wouldn't take the money, and she knows."

"Knows what?"

"That you're involved with her family. Or at least that Baghra is."

"How do you know?"

"Genya told me," Zoya said, "she was concerned you might do something stupid. So am I. She isn't one of your little trophy wives, Aleksander. She isn't me."

"It'll be fine."

"Really?" she said. "Because she won't even talk to Mal right now, and we all know she thinks he's Prince Charming. You know how this is supposed to go."

"I know," he said, "don't worry, I've got it. I swear."