Forty-four:

Forty-four:

For reasons Alina couldn't shake, it was a sad, slow day. They had breakfast together at a diner not far from campus, and then the two of them went back to the frat house so she could pack her stuff. Genya would be back that evening, and Alina didn't want to be gone when she got back because she was curious about if she and David were finally engaged or not.

She packed her things, and Aleksander kept on coming up behind her and kissing her while she did. Alina laughed each time and found it hard to focus which meant that it was late afternoon by the time that she was finished getting her stuff together.

When they got back to her dorm, Aleksander stopped her from going to the door. "Wait," he told her, keeping her back.

"What is it?" she said, shouldering her backpack.

"There's a package in front of your door. Stay here."

"Aleks---"

"Stay here," he told her.

Aleksander walked forward and went to pick up the little brown package. There was nothing to identify who it was from, but Aleksander had his suspicions. Hesitantly, he opened it, his hands shaking as he did so. When he opened it, out fell a tiny little gold jewelry box, like the ones stores used. There was a note attached in handwriting Aleksander recognized as Nikolai's.

He opened the letter.

Happy Harvest Weekend, Cousin!

Apparently, there's some dumb thing that keeps us from being able to have you with us, but Mom wanted you to have this. It was a gift to her from her sister, your mom. Next year, we'll all be together and I'm going to get you drunk on family champagne and beat Vasily at charades with you.

-Nik

Aleksander let out a sigh of relief. "It's from Nikolai."

"Nikolai's already home?" Alina said. "Why didn't he stop by the Frat?"

"He probably went off to see that girl he's been sneaking around with or something."

Alina raised an eyebrow. "There's a girl Nikolai's sneaking around with?"

"Yeah, it's been on and off for years," Aleksander said darkly, "but you know him. He can't commit to anyone."

"Can I have my package now?"

Aleksander sighed. "I suppose so. No threat." He kissed her on the forehead as he handed it to her, and Alina smiled up at him.

Alina read the letter, grinning, and then she opened the box. Inside, was a peacock blue locket, with a gold back to it. Alina opened it, and on the inside of the locket were pictures she had never seen before. One was of her mother, blond haired, blue eyed, wearing a Ravka U sweatshirt and smiling, and the other was of her father, dark haired, and grinning at whoever was taking the picture of him. Inside the locket was another note.

The handwriting was in a delicate cursive.

Dear Alina,

My sister Faina was very young when she had you and our family connections made things complicated that shouldn't have been. We've been trying to reunite with you for years since Faina's death, but it is very complicated. Ravkaan courts and custom said we could have custody when your parents died, but your father's family has influence and power we do not. Even with all of our gold and money. I am sorry this has kept you from us, and that we've had to keep our distance.

But it is my hope that as you come of age, we'll be a family again. Faina was my dear sister, and I loved her with all my heart. Nikolai tells me you remind him of her. You spent Christmas with us once, at our lodge, do you remember? I got you a teddy bear.

We shall see each other soon.

Love,

Aunt Tatiana

Alina clutched the letter tightly, and then she looked up at Aleksander. "I've got family," she whispered, "and they want me."

Aleksander smiled at her. "Of course. Who wouldn't?" He reached out and stroked her face. "Want me to put the locket on you?"

She nodded, looking as if she was about to cry. "It's got pictures of my parents. They're so young, and they're so happy." Alina opened it to show him.

"I can see it. I can see them both in you."

Alina handed the locket to him, and Alina turned around so that Aleksander could put the locket on her. He brushed back her hair and placed it around her neck. She clutched it in her hand. The locket had belonged to her aunt, picked out by her mom. It had pictures of her parents.

"You okay?" Aleksander asked. "You want me to stay with you?" 

Alina smiled brightly at him. "I'm okay," she said, "maybe next year, we won't have to skip out on Harvest Weekend. Maybe you can go with me. Nikolai might be forced to team up with Vasily for charades instead."

Aleksander chuckled. "I like the sound of that."

"I like the sound of that too," she said softly, and she stood on her tip toes to kiss him. Aleksander stroked her cheek lightly.

"I really, really don't want to go back to the Frat house." He sighed. "All of the guys are going to get back, and its going to be loud, and obnoxious and it's going to smell of feet. I should just stay at my place off campus, but it's pretty lonely there."

Alina raised an eyebrow. "You have a place off campus?"

He nodded. "I joined the frat for the connections, mostly, and because its closer to school so its easier to commute back and forth for football practice."

"Why didn't you tell me about that sooner?"

"To be completely honest, I didn't know how this was going to go. I figured you'd end up hating me because I did something stupid and I would need a place to hide out."

Alina glanced from her dorm room to Aleksander. "Let's go there."

Aleksander scratched his head. "My apartment? Are you sure?"

"I'll see Genya tomorrow. It's technically still Harvest Weekend. One more night, yeah?"

Aleksander wrapped his arms around her, picking her up, and kissing her deeply. "Yeah. One more night together. I like the sound of that."