The Beginning

"Loud... noises are... loud... what is that?"

I began to come to slowly as my alarm clock screamed at me to wake up. I peeked over through squinted eyes and saw the time. 8:45AM.

Fuck, I'm late again. I can't keep doing this, but I have to push on and get through the day. Today is the National Pro Hero Conference, and I need to be as impressive as possible to the other heroes so they understand how important our small agency is.

Working with Weighted Justice (or Justice for short) to design this agency on the east coast has been one of the hardest challenges of my short hero career, but was so worth it. Every ounce of effort has led the twelve young heroes who joined our agency to land a spot on the "Top 30 Pros in the U.S." list, and three of them rank in the top ten. With this agency being alive for just about four years, the accomplishments were just starting. Justice was asked to be a speaker on the lunch panel at the conference on what makes a hero a pro, and he insisted on recognizing me for standing by his side.

8:55AM

Shit, I need to get dressed! I ran to the closet, pulled on my Pro Hero outfit, and struggled to get my feet in the ensemble as I sprinted to the bathroom. After fixing my deep teal one-piece suit, I brushed my teeth and moisturized my short, freshly cut hair. I ran out to the bedroom and threw on my belt and long, ankle-length black cloak. With a quick look in the mirror, I grabbed my bag and ran out the door, only to burst right back in to grab my glasses. With red handles and golden rims, they were one of my statement pieces along with other golden accents on my coat and jewelry.

I practically flew out the door and locked it right behind me. I sprinted instinctively to the taxi waiting for me outside and they began driving toward the local convention center. I looked at my phone and saw a text from Justice:

"I didn't hear from you today so I sent a cab over to get you. I hope you'll be on time! This is our huge debut."

He wasn't wrong. This Conference comes around every two years, and the last time it ran, we went as participants; now it was the real deal.

I fiddled with my phone some more and caught up on the news: "Crime down over 14 percent in the past year". Hmm, that sounds like a great point to bring up during the panel.

I sent the link over to Justice so we could talk about how our efforts have contributed to this. The taxi driver slammed on the brakes hard in front of the convention center, and I shuffled out while grabbing my things.

This is it; our moment is here.