Prologue

A/N: For my returning readers, I hope you enjoy this BRAND NEW prologue chapter! I'd love to know what you think too! :D

"Miss Mystic, I'm so sorry that your daughter is regressing like this. At her age, she should have basic control of her quirk," the doctor began.

I watched my mother's concerned face glance at me ever so often as the doctor continued about my quirk's side effects, "I genuinely don't think we can do this without medication. Either that or she doesn't use her quirk as much which means..."

"That I can't be a hero, like mom, " I interjected. "Yes, but I'm sure if things come to that, you will still do amazing things just like your mom," the doctor comforted.

"How can I be like mom if I can't even use my quirk? She's so strong and awesome, but I'm weak," I replied. My mother sighed and sat next to me, "Honey, your body can't handle your quirk right now, but we will do everything we can to make this right. Doctor, tell us more about the medicinal option."

-

While sitting in the car, I thought about all the trouble I must be causing mom and felt tears pricking my eyes. "I'm sorry mom. I'm really trying," I began to cry as soon as she got inside. Her silence was deafening as I continued sobbing. "Are you practicing enough as I asked you to?" she interrogated me.

"I use my quirk every day! It makes me so nervous afterward and gives me a tummy ache and that weird heavy feeling in my chest," I whined through the tears. "Practice makes perfect, Rae. You know that. Anyway, these pills should help you control those side effects and help you finally get some proper sleep," she stated a bit coldly.

"Okay, mom. I'm sorry."

We didn't speak for the rest of the ride, but the radio's pop hits station filled the empty void. About twenty minutes later, we pulled up to mom's job at the hero agency. Since I had my appointment in the middle of the day, she decided that it was best to delay her start time and bring me with her for the rest of her shift.

"Mystic, how is our little hero in the making doing? Were the doctors any help?" a familiar voice asked with concern as we stepped out of the car. I looked up and saw the Number One Pro Hero in the U.S., Gravitas, and his son Jayce Gonzales Diaz walking toward us.

"Hi Mr. Gonzales. Hi Jayce," I said sadly, putting my head back down.

My mom waved to them, "Hi, you two. The doctor gave her pills to counter the quirk's side effects. We're not sure if it will work, but we have to try something at this point. The doctor says if not this, then she'll have to limit her quirk use, which we know means that she can't be a full-time hero."

"It's okay! I'll always be around to protect Rae! My hero name is proof that I can do it, easy peasy!" Jayce exclaimed as he threw his arms into the air.

"We could never forget about Super Jayce! He's always ready to beat up the villains that are ready to snatch up little heroes like Rae!" Jayce's dad picked me up and threw me in the air before catching me. Jayce glared at his dad and began punching his leg screaming, "Put her down! Leave her alone!" I laughed for the first time in what felt like months as we continued playing with Jayce. Mr. Gonzales held me high in the air, constantly asking me if I was okay. I kept laughing so much that tears sprang from my eyes causing Jayce to see red, "Dad! You made her cry! What's wrong with you?!"

"Are you okay, Rae? I'm so sorry if that was too much roughhousing," his dad apologized as he put me down. Before I could explain, mom sighed, "It's just the quirk's side effects. She's fine."

My mom was right. I was having fun, but suddenly my emotions just sprang out like I couldn't keep them inside. "It's not you Mr. Gonzales, I promise," I assured him while wiping the tears from my eyes. Jayce came to my side and examined my face, "Are you sure? My dad can be such a meanie sometimes." I laughed again as my mom and her friend stepped to the side and away from us. While Jayce went on about the newest episode of the cartoon he watched before coming here, I glanced over at mom and Mr. Gonzales. She wiped her eyes and rested her head on his arm. I could barely hear her over Jayce's constant talking but some parts of the conversation were clearer than others.