Proving Our Worth - Part 1

Hey? Did you ever make it home? I figured you passed out, but I wanted to be sure."

My body sat up aggressively, and my neck snapped around to the clock on the nightstand that read "6:45am" in bright red numbers.

I looked at my cell phone, and the screen blinded me as I tried to see who had called.

"Hello? Rae? You up?"

I finally recognized the voice and sighed.

"Never have I thought I would get a "you up" call from you, but here we are. I'm awake. What's up?"

Jay chuckled, "First time for everything, but I'm just checking to see if you're okay."

"Why wouldn't I be?" My limp hand rubbed my eyes as I listened for his reply.

"You never texted me to let me know that you made it home safe."

Oh right. I was supposed to do that, but the truth is that I just got home a couple of hours ago. If I texted then, he would have been even more concerned.

"Hey, sorry. I absolutely forgot and passed out. The brain's been occupied with today's meeting. I'm fine, alive and well," I said groggily.

Jay seemed to believe my reasoning as he sighed and hummed. "Alright, well I'm glad you're okay. I just wanted to make sure. After I left the office yesterday, I got home and went straight to bed as you instructed."

My eyes were closed as my head dropped into the pillow. "I never told you to go straight home and sleep. I said to not stay out late."

"Same thing. Anyway, I'll let you get back to sleep. I'll see you at 9?"

My reply came as a grunt, causing him to laugh softly and hang up.

My face sank deeply into my pillow, and I let out a brief scream.

"Do you wanna talk?" The Silhouette asked seductively.

"No. I have the biggest day coming up in a few hours, and I only got two hours of sleep so far."

I picked up my head and turned to her.

She scoffed and began staring at her nails as she replied, "You were more fun as a child. We would do so much together and talk all the time. Now, you're barely giving me the time of day. I understand where poor Justice is coming from."

"You tormented me as a child. Do you realize that? I was terrified to see a dark figure in my room every night so of course I listened to you and did what you wanted. You can't fool me now."

The Silhouette huffed, but I ignored her bickering. Nothing on earth would stand in the way of me and those investors today, especially not a quirk side effect. I fell back asleep eventually and woke up again at 8:00am.

I checked my phone and saw a text from Jay: "Good morning! We're wearing our business suits today and walking with our hero outfits separately, right?"

My eyes glanced at my suit that hung on the knob of my closet. The dark sky-blue three-piece suit was something I bought a year ago when the agency began to expand, and the ensemble became known as my "serious suit". When I wore that, everyone knew something important was happening.

The suit consisted of a jacket, pants, and vest, that was usually paired with a white button-up shirt. My shoes of choice today were white flats with a small heel and my white laptop bag that would easily fit all the notes I needed for today, aside from the ones Jay hopefully scanned last night.

Before I could really daydream, my phone buzzed again, causing me to get up and begin brushing my teeth. I read Jay's reply lazily and finished my routine with a simple moisturizing of my hair and combing through it with my fingers to make sure it was perfect.