.003

3 | our words had meanings

during nini's third period she was distracted the whole time, focusing on ricky flirting with a girl besides him. she rolled her eyes in annoyance. trying to tear her eyes away but yet they were still glue on to him. "miss roberts." the teacher called, nini quickly took her eyes off the boy and gave her attention to the teacher.
"are you actually going to listen to the lesson now?" he asked, not exposing her to the class.

ricky turned around, looking at the brunette girl. he softly smiled at her trying to collect herself, shortly after he looked away sighing deeply.

the bell rung, and quickly nini was out the door first. she made her way to her friends at their usual lunch table. "she arrives." carlos calls out, "what took you so long."

"what do you mean? i literally was out the door first. y'all just teleported." nini rolled her eyes playfully, as she laughed slightly . she sat down and sighed. "i'm thinking of quitting cheer."

"what?!" all her friends shouted in unison, and the whole cafeteria went silently to stare at them. "mind y'all's business!" gina called out, causing everyone to look away and continue their own conversations.

"girly. why?" ashlyn asked, putting her full attention on nini.

"i just—i don't know. i'm not into it anymore." she shrugged. gina rolled her eyes in frustration.

"you're literally the team captain. is it because of ricky? cause he's in the basketball team y'all are cheering for?" gina asserted, raising her brows.

"no! why do you guys—"

"so it is." ej laughed. nini shook her head forcefully, "lies, that 'no' was so high pitched."

nini groaned as she laid her head on her arms. "ricky has nothing to do with it...i think—" she cut herself off, "i mean isn't it weird to cheer for your ex?"

"um girl. ricky ain't the whole team. there's like 6 other dudes on the basketball team." carlos said with a bit a sass, "i think you're overthinking it. do this for you, not him."

"plus! im still on the team, you cannot leave me." gina whipped her hair fashionably. "tonight you are getting over ricky, we are going to the basketball game after party."

"how the fuck am i supposed to get over him when i'm at his party?" nini laughed, then she paused, "and i am over him!"

"yeah keep telling yourself that." ej grinned as they all laughed except nini.

"focus on the game bowen!" antonie called out as he passed the ball to ricky, he caught it with one hand, rolling his eyes.

the only thing on his mind was nini. they might've acted like they hate each other when talking to the other but in reality that was fat from the truth. "i know, chill." ricky dribbled the ball across the court juking all his team mates and threw the ball into the hoop.
"before calling me out get your head in the game." ricky smirked, tossing the ball to howie.

ricky walked off the court and into the locker room, he took off his jersey, wearing the shirt he wore to school. "what's up with you?" jack, ricky's other team mate leaned against the locker, and crossed his arms in front of his chest.