Chapter 11 - The School

Violence warning ⚠️
————————————————————————

    (Y/N) forgot how long it took to get over the long highway.

    It was afternoon when they started but was coming close to evening by time they started seeing the exit. Was probably due to the speed they were going in but many of the team were dying to get out and stretch their legs.

    The Head Keeper however kept a lookout for the familiar buildings of the small town she had once been to. Her growing nerves and excitement to possibly see a certain demon again kept nagging at her. Probably the first time she's been this excited about the whole trip in general. If Tuca or his family were no longer in the small town, she would be a bit disappointed. If that was the case she hoped that they were all doing well and safe and that maybe a different Zone can confirm them for her.

     While she went over the database again just to be sure the family wasn't within it yet, she felt a hand slowly tap her shoulder and turned around to meet her husband. By the look on his face, he seemed disturbed. "You alright?"

    The man sighed before showing her his tablet. On it was several photos taken of marks in differing locations by nearby Zones. Some were deep in the city, others in the countryside, even a couple placed in the most oddest locations like the seat of a bus or a flag draped on a fence. (Y/N)'s eyes widened at the amount that was found. "Jeez, how many are there?!"

"I counted them all up. About 24 have been found. There aren't any further out so this is practically a local thing. But I asked about the results of the testing and some was either 30 years old or as recent as 4 years. But a similar factor about them all is that they were made with demon blood and sometimes the corpse was found close by. Just like the last one we found." Jules took his tablet away while (Y/N) was left stunned.

"Even 4 years...?" That was way too recent. But more importantly, those marks were being made for almost three decades. If those marks were found, maybe the pendants were too? They did have the same markings. "What about the pendant?"

"A couple of those too but not as many. If this all has been happening within our area then we should hope that we find the reason as to why or the culprit behind this." Apart of Reclamation is ensuring the surface is safe enough for people to return to and these markings had all types of red flags to them.

"You think we'll find one in Pachester? At this rate I wouldn't be surprised." (Y/N) crossed her arms. She doesn't remember seeing any from the last time she was in the small town but she didn't get the chance to explore much either.

    Jules shrugged. "It's a possibility now. I'm just wondering why we are just now finding these marks. Especially when there are some that have been around for more than a decade. You would think Capturers would've reported any by now."

     The carrier had a small bump that led to the Head Keeper peeking out the windshield towards the front. The snow was starting to come down harder and it seemed like they were approaching the town based on the small buildings up ahead. "Besides that, where are we setting up camp?"

"There should be some sort of school that we have to head to. It's on the route."

"Wait a school?!" (Y/N)'s eyes widened which made her husband confused by her reaction. "Yea. Why?"

"I know that school! It's where that demon family lives. Or... lived. I'm not sure now." (Y/N) explained and she watched as Jules began to remember her telling him something about a school.

"You think it'll be ok if I can accompany you guys while you search the place?" She expects him to say no since he was so protective of her. But if she went with them and the family were still around they'll likely recognize her. Their time together was pretty brief but as long as she mentions the boy things should go pretty well. Hopefully.