𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝟯𝟬. she was here

CHAPTER THIRTYSHE WAS HERE

CHAPTER THIRTY
SHE WAS HERE

IT HAD BEEN AN HOUR OR SO SINCE THE PACK HAD SET UP, and the fortress was as quiet as the dead. Malia and Parrish were wandering the halls, and Belle was resting on Liam's shoulder, with Hayden falling asleep next to her. Isaac, Scott and Lydia were still talking, whispering away from the Sophomores.

Suddenly, Belle was startled when Liam began to move slightly, not wanting to wake her before standing up. She muttered a 'what are you doing?' though it had came out more as a silent whisper. A bag was sealed shut on one of the benches, and Liam had unzipped and dug into it, pulling out chains. Belle's brows furrowed, wondering why Scott would bring them along.

"What were you doing to do with these?" Asked Liam, curiously.

"Brought them just in case." Scott told him, and Belle stood up, confused as to what he meant. "Incase of what?"

"Incase we had the chance to catch one of them." Lydia spoke, raising a brow. "If we can't make the school a fortress, maybe we have the chance to make it a trap." Isaac had added, which caused everything to click in Belle and Liam's mind. They were using Hayden to find the Dread Doctors, not keeping her safe.

"They're coming for her, does that mean she's the bait?" Asked Anabelle, which had sparked an interest in Hayden as she woke up— listening to their conversation.

"Belle, we brought her here to protect her." Lydia explained.

"And now she's bait?" Liam snapped.

"Am I?" Hayden added.

"No, no ones bait. But we can't be bodyguards to everyone every night. They already know about Belle, and know how to use her power against her. And Hayden— She's a Chimera, it's obvious they want her." Scott explained, and Anabelle glanced at Hayden, who looked terrified.

"Then why aren't we talking to Belle's dad? Why aren't we doing something other than hiding in a school?" Urged Liam, scared for everyone's safety.

"Because we still don't know anything about them or what they want, okay? They're winning, and we don't even know what the game is." Scott replied in annoyance, trying to get Liam to understand where he was coming from.

"What if they come in here, and those things don't work? What if you have an asthma attack again, what are you gonna do? Belle won't be able to use her magic, we sure as hell won't be able to protect ourselves. What do we do then?" The Dunbar boy snapped back, and Belle glanced at Isaac, who's expression was unreadable.