Chapter - 16

FLASHBACK (The Day Sehun Died)

Sehun was jolted awake by the sound of his phone ringing, the shrill noise cutting through the peaceful silence of his room. He fumbled for the device, his heart pounding as he answered, still half-asleep and disoriented.

"Hello?" Sehun muttered, rubbing his eyes in an attempt to wake up fully.

"Good morning~ Enjoy your last day~" a chilling, unfamiliar voice came through the other end, sending a cold shiver down Sehun's spine.

Sehun's brow furrowed in confusion as he tried to make sense of the ominous words that had been spoken to him. "Huh?" he asked, puzzled by the cryptic message that had shattered his peaceful slumber.

"Next is you, Sehun ssi," the caller informed, causing Sehun's heart to skip a beat and his sleepiness to evaporate instantly.

"W- What- Who are y- you?" Sehun stammered, his voice trembling with fear as he struggled to grasp the situation. The caller's laughter sent chills down his spine, and when they forebodingly mentioned he would soon find out, a wave of dread washed over him.

"Hello? Hello?" Sehun called out in desperation, but the line went dead, leaving him alone with his racing thoughts and the unsettling warning ringing in his ears.

-

Sehun's heart raced as he walked to the campus, the memory of the chilling phone call still fresh in his mind. Suddenly, he heard footsteps behind him, sending a jolt of fear through his body. He quickened his pace, the hairs on the back of his neck standing on end as he approached the spot where Irene's body had been discovered.

His breath quickened as he felt a sense of unease wash over him, the silence of the empty campus now feeling suffocating. In his haste to escape, he accidentally collided with a bucket, the loud clatter causing him to trip and fall to the ground. Water from the bucket soaked his shoes, sending a chill through him.

Cursing under his breath, Sehun scrambled to his feet and ran, ignoring the discomfort of his wet shoes as he sprinted through the garden. The sense of foreboding only grew stronger, and he couldn't shake the feeling that he was being watched, the memory of the mysterious caller's words haunting him every step of the way.

Sehun's heart was still pounding when the gardener's voice startled him. "Kid! Why don't you just clean those shoes before walking on the grass?" the gardener asked, annoyance evident in his tone.

Sehun looked down at his soaked and muddy shoes, feeling a pang of guilt for dirtying the pristine grass. "Oh, sorry," he mumbled, sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck.

"Weren't you coming from the dormitory? Then where did you get all this mud on your shoes?" the gardener questioned, a curious expression on his face.

Sehun hesitated for a moment, unsure of how to explain the situation without causing alarm. "Um- I don't know. I should be going now. Or I will be l- late," he stammered, eager to escape the awkward conversation about his muddy shoes as he tried to push aside the lingering sense of unease that had been following him since the unsettling phone call.

Sehun's steps faltered as he heard his name being called upon entering the library. Turning around, he spotted Jungkook approaching him, his expression unreadable. Sehun felt a twinge of annoyance, as he had never particularly liked Jungkook.

"What is it, Jungkook ssi?" he asked, his tone brimming with disinterest.

Jungkook held out a book towards him, stating, "Oh, got it from my locker. I think it's yours."