Chapter 30

"'Cause when a woman's fed up. No matter how you beg, it ain't nothing you can do about it. It's like running out of love. No matter what you say, and then it's too late to talk about it."

- When A Woman's Fed Up by R. Kelly

**********

"Slowly," Austin warned Aubrey as he helped her out of her wheelchair and into Payton's Audi.

"Okay, Aus," she groaned before rolling her eyes. He was so insatiable.

Payton laughed. "She'll be okay with me, Austin. Jeez," Austin looked down at Aubrey as she froze. "What'd I say?" Payton wondered as he noticed the bewildered look on both their faces.

"Payton... I'm staying with Austin," Aubrey explained and the color drained from Payton's face.

"What... Why?"

"You coming to visit me changes nothing. I am forever grateful that you were there in my time of need, but..." she sighed. "I still love you and I can't fight that... No matter how hard I try to," she explained and he shook his head silently. He looked back at her with cold eyes once he realized how serious she was before holding his hand out to her. She thankfully took it and climbed back out of the 4x4 to sit in the wheelchair.

"See ya' later, Payton," Austin said, breaking the silence. Payton stared at him for a moment and then gruffly nodded. Austin watched as Payton walked in the opposite direction and he pedaled Aubrey to where his car was parked. He sighed and helped Aubrey get in, making sure he was careful. After he knew she was secure he immediately got in, started the car, and pulled away.

No goodbye or good luck. Nothing. Aubrey whimpered. Of course, she didn't want to do this, but she couldn't stay in a house with the man who stole her heart knowing he didn't feel the same. Knowing he looked at her like a toy. She just couldn't. "Aus..." she whispered and he immediately pulled over knowingly to pull her into his embrace. She let out a small cry before breaking down completely.

-

Payton knew he would eventually have to get over the fact that Aubrey didn't want to see him. He felt horrible knowing that he couldn't love her back. He didn't even understand how she could love him. But he did understand that he truly enjoyed being around her. He missed seeing her face everyday. It was something he had definitely grown accustomed to. It only took a few weeks since she was discharged before he could no longer stand it. He had to see her. He was surprised it even took him this long.

Payton asked Cyrus to drive him over to Austin's apartment and he begged to see her, but of course Austin refused to let him in. When Aubrey found out later that day she scolded Austin. Who was he to not tell her that someone wanted to see her, let alone to not let them see her? The only physical contact she had in these few weeks was Austin and the police. She was going to drive herself crazy thinking about Junior's well-being and Payton at the same time. The police would constantly stop by a few days out of the week which made her sink deeper and deeper into depression. All she wanted was her son. She cried almost every night just praying that he was safe.

At first, Payton would only come over two days out of the week, but that soon escalated to nearly everyday. It kept Aubrey's mind occupied but she was definitely growing worried. He had a life. He was a professional football player for goodness sakes. He had responsibilities and she refused to let him throw his life away for her.

It wasn't like he really cared for her anyway.

"Payton, why are you here?" she asked randomly out loud once Scandal went to commercial. It was a Friday night and it was half past nine. He had been there since three pm, yet he was still sitting on the couch with her as if he had nothing better to do. He didn't look like he was leaving anytime soon either.