Chapter 10

"And all my life, I prayed for someone like you. And I hope that you feel the same way too."

- All My Life by K-Ci and JoJo

**********

"Well, hello handsome," Austin purred once he recognized who it was at the front door.

Payton cleared his throat uncomfortably. "Uh... Is... Umm... Aubrey here?" he asked, ignoring Austin's comment. He instantly started to wonder if he was even at the right apartment.

"Yes, she is," Austin confirmed, but continued to ogle Payton hungrily.

"Well... Um... Can I please speak to her?" Payton asked coolly, looking over the man's shoulder. This was the first time Payton talked to this guy and he honestly hoped he never had to see him again after today. Who is he anyway? She definitely isn't dating him. Can't be.

"Of course... But.... What's in it for me?" Austin asked with a sinister smile.

Payton nearly choked on his spit, but recovered with a few coughs. "Excuse me?" he asked before looking at Austin sideways.

"I would like—"

"Mr. Man!" Payton heard Junior scream from behind Austin before pushing past him.

Payton blew out a breath and silently thanked God that Junior saved his life. "Hey, buddy," he crouched down to his level and gave him a hug before standing back up.

"What're you doing here?" Junior asked. "I thought mommy was mad at you..." he frowned sadly.

"She is, but I came to apologize."

"Well, she's asleep right now. I'll go wake her," he struggled to get back past Austin, but Payton stopped him just in time.

"It's fine, JT. Your mom needs to sleep."

"Okay..." he said with a soft voice and looked down. Payton crouched back down to his level again.

"What's wrong, JT?" Payton wondered, noticing his voice change.

"Now you gone leave. You only came to see momma' anyway," he knotted his fingers.

Payton stood back up and looked at Austin for permission. Austin backed away from the entryway with a huff and Payton walked past with Junior in tow. "I'll stay here with you until your mom wakes up. How does that sound?"

Junior grinned like a Cheshire cat. "Really?" he clapped giddily.

Payton laughed and sat him on the couch. "Yea, really," he mocked.

"Okay! Do you want to see my toy cars?" he asked, not wanting to waste any precious time.

"Sure. Go get them and show me," Payton didn't have to say another word before Junior raced off, in hunt for his Hot Wheels.

Payton exhaled and leaned back against the couch. He slightly jumped when he realized the guy at the door was now standing right in front of him. "Listen. No disrespect at all I'm just not interested..." Payton explained quickly.

"But you're interested in Aubrey," Austin finished, staring at Payton.

"Yea..." he replied subconsciously, but then realized what he said. "No... I mean... Well... Yes, but..." he stopped himself and shook his head confusedly. Thinking about this girl was messing with his brain.

Austin laughed. "I'm Aubrey's best friend, Austin Ramón Iglesias. It's nice to meet you," he stuck out his hand.

Payton hesitated to take his hand, but decided against it. If this was Aubrey's best friend then he knew he'd have to befriend him. The guy still gave him the creeps though.