Chapter 50

"'Cause you were my sister, my strength, and my pride. Only God may know why, still I will get by. Who would've known that you'd have to go so suddenly and so fast? How could it be that a sweet memory would be all that we have left."

- Missing You by Brandy ft. Gladys Knight, Chaka Khan, and Tamia

**********

"And last but not least..." there was a long pause as Pastor Howard continued. "Last week Thursday Sister Aubrey's little sister, Anastasia, was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma cancer..."

Murmurs were heard around throughout the congregation. They looked around with wide eyes until they found where Aubrey was sitting. She gave Pastor a soft smile as she ignored everyone's stares. No need to meet the glances of sympathy. Anastasia would be alright anyway. She'd pull through.

"Now, if anyone would like to visit Miss Ana then go to Sister Aubrey after service. Let's just keep her in our prayers and ask God to watch over her. Amen?" he says loudly.

"Amen!" shouts the congregation. Some people were crying and hugging one another, especially the teenagers and younger kids who had come to know Anastasia. Aubrey did her best to not show any emotion that involved sadness. She just knew her sister would get through this.

After service lots of church folk talked with Aubrey and asked how Anastasia was doing. Aubrey assured them she would be okay, but some people still ended up crying on her shoulder and asking if they could visit. She told them they could as long as they contacted her first.

The last person to come up to Aubrey was Pastor Howard. "How's she doing?" he put his hand on her shoulder and gave her a kind smile.

Aubrey returned the smile. "She's doing great. Would you like to see her? I'm heading that way now and she asked to see you."

He nodded. "Yes, of course. I'll go talk to my wife and I'll see you there."

Aubrey waved as he walked off. "Thank you, Pastor."

It doesn't take long for Aubrey to get to the Children's Hospital. When Ana was first admitted a week ago it always took Aubrey at least 15 minutes to get checked in. Now, they knew her face so it took no longer than three minutes. "See you, Miss Aubrey..." Emily smiled. She was the receptionist and was always so nice to Aubrey.

"Thanks, Emily," she gave her a wink and began heading towards the elevator.

"Oh wait!" Emily yelled, waving her arms frantically to gain her attention. Aubrey stopped in her tracks and turned around with a confused look on her face. "I have something for Anastasia," she turned around in her swivel chair. A huge bouquet of flowers and a basked of Edible Arrangements was in her hands. Aubrey's eyebrow quirked up.

"Who are these from?" she wondered as she took everything from Emily.

"I have no clue, doesn't say a name," she shrugged her shoulders and Aubrey opened the card that was in the Edible Arrangements basket.

"Hey, Ana, get well soon. Tell June Bug and Aub that I miss them."

"Ooo, but I do remember what he looks like!" Emily squealed. "And he must've been famous or something because people were taking pictures with him outside before he came in. He was tall, built, juicy lips, a stride that puts the 'P' in power, and a velvety voice to absolutely die for," she crooned. Emily opened her eyes to take a look at Aubrey's face and winced at the look she gave her.