Chapter 37

"Love ain't never been so close but so far away. It's like your mind is telling you to just back off and your heart says just stay. What's a love that doesn't keep you up all night and all day?"

- Down For You by Kehlani ft. BJ The Chicago Kid

**********

"So, you will be watching... Right?" he asked as he opened the door, preparing to get out of the truck.

Aubrey refrained from rolling her eyes at Payton and nodded instead. "Yes, now go before you coach kicks your butt."

He laughed before leaning over to give her a kiss. "I love it when you attempt to not curse," he winked before exiting the vehicle. She blushed.

He went to the back of the truck and signaled for her to open the trunk. He pulled out his duffel bag and threw it over his shoulder. "See ya' later, Aub baby," he called as the trunk was closing.

"I love you," she called back and he gave her a sheepish smile along with another wink as he jogged off.

After a short while Aubrey pulled away from the entrance of the Marriot. She smiled ear-to-ear the entire ride. On the day that Payton had home games he allowed her to drive him to the Marriot where his team would reside for the night before game day. It was they only way they could really be alone to just talk and be with one another outside of the house. Cyrus protested at first, but did as Payton wished... Well, as Aubrey wished actually.

When 'Dead Wrong' by Trey Songz featuring Ty Dolla' $ign came on the radio Aubrey reached out to turn it up. She began singing along to the words loudly. When she was stopped at a red light and looked in her rearview mirror she noticed a black truck—similar to the one she was driving—was behind her. It had been behind her for some time and she was worried so just to make sure she hopped on the freeway. It had tinted windows so she she couldn't see inside the truck. When she took an exit off the freeway and it followed Aubrey sucked in a breath in realization. Her fingers began trembling as she dialed Payton's number. She hoped he wasn't busy because then she wouldn't know what to do. The cars' speakers filled with his smooth voice and her nervous fingers were clasped tight onto the steering wheel.

"Hey, what's wrong?" she heard a lot of voices in the background.

"A-Are you busy, Pay..." her voice trembled.

He knew that as soon as she said his name there was something most definitely wrong. He muttered a curse word before walking away from all of the loud chatter. His heavy footsteps didn't falter nor did his furrowing eyebrows. "Are you okay, babe? What's going on?"

"Someone... I don't know... I-I am being followed," she gulped and her palms were clammy.

"Babe, calm down. It's probably just paparazzi. I can handle it—"

"It's a big, black truck. I cannot see in it at all. They've even came nearly close to hitting me in my rear a few times," she spoke rapidly while looking in her mirrors. They were still behind her.

"Shít. Shít. I'll tell coach that I can't play tomo—"

"No!" she practically yelled before quickly calming back down. "You don't need to do that. I'll just stop at a store and call Cyrus or something."

"Baby, I don't want you doing this. I won't be able to—"

"I'm fine. There's a store a half a mile from where I am. It'll be okay," she didn't know whether she was trying to assure him that she would be fine or herself.