Chapter 28

"So tell me, baby, do you want me like I want you? Even if you did you wouldn't say, I know you. Some nights I even think about if I should call you cause I thought you were the one. Cause I was dyin' for this love, this love. Yeah, I was dyin' for your love, your love."

- DYING 4 YOUR LOVE by Snoh Aalegra

**********

Justin eventually left the house once Aubrey's secret was revealed. Payton and Aubrey steered clear of each other for the rest of the day. Payton knew in his heart that he couldn't let this can't continue. He wasn't mentally or emotionally prepared for love so he'd have to be the bigger person and let her go. As much as he wanted it to work love was where he drew the line. He had to come up with some kind of arrangement that would work good for the both of them. Payton didn't understand. How could she love him? He was fúcked up in the head. He was nothing. He wasn't capable of love. He was a fúck up and she deserved far better.

He sighed as he exited his office and walked down to her room. He nodded at Bryce in acknowledgment before knocking on her door. "Come in," she sang. She was happy and that was a relief. A good sign.

When Payton opened the door the sight in front of him was one that would be etched in his mind forever. Aubrey was dancing and prancing around her bedroom to Dirty Diana by The Weeknd. It was one of the most beautiful sights Payton had ever saw. She held nothing back. They way she moved her hips and hands to the beat was completely and utterly mesmerizing. So carefree.

"Aub... Aubrey!" he yelled over the loud music. She stopped dancing for a moment before going over to her dresser and lowering the volume to her bluetooth speaker from her phone.

"My bad, but wassup?" she wondered.

"Did you see the keys that were on your bed on your birthday?"

"Yes..." she began slowly. "I thought they were to my Beetle," she said curiously. He laughed nervously before muttering something. "What did you say?" she questioned.

"I bought you a 2022 Kia Stinger," he said louder before huffing. She gaped at him with wide eyes in realization and he smiled brightly at her.

"Y-You... You what?" she practically yelled. I'm Still in Love With You by New Edition was playing softly in the background.

"What can I do girl?"

Payton began scratching his neck. "I just—"

"So in love girl."

"Why would you do that?" she shrieked.

"And I don't know what to do 'cause I don't wanna' lose you."

"I knew you'd be mad but it was for your birthday and—" she cut off his nervousness again. He knew she'd be mad.

"Nooo! What would I do without your love?"

"Still! A car!" Aubrey hollered before throwing her hands in the air. She hated when he bought her overly expensive stuff.

"Baby, it's heaven sent from above."

He wanted to lay everything out on the table. "Also, Aubrey, there's something else..." he murmured before looking down at what was in his hands. She looked down at his hands too before furrowing her eyebrows.

"So you don't believe what your friends tell you 'bout me."

"What—" she started, but he cut her off.

"I'm still the man for you."

"It's your two week notice," Payton said quietly before looking back up at her.