Chapter 5

"Truth is I'm tired. Options are few. I'm trying to pray but where are you? I'm all churched out. Hurt and abused. I can't fake. What's left to do? Please, take me to the King."

- Take Me To The King by Tamela Mann

**********

Aubrey flipped through the pages of the newspaper before finding what she was looking for... the jobs section. Her eyes raked all over the options, but none were as interesting as working at a restaurant of some sort. With no luck she eventually threw the paper to the ground with a shameless grunt.

She really hated going in for interviews knowing she wouldn't get the job. She wasn't the richest person in the world so she knew she looked a hot mess at most times. Nevertheless, she tried to tame the beast that lived on the top of her head but it always seemed to unleash during the worst times.

It seemed as though she would never get a job. She had been searching online and through the paper all day. She was officially exhausted. It didn't help that there was a loud knock on the bedroom door, making the headache she had worsen. She was still staying at Austin's, in the guest bedroom.

"Bre?" Austin spoke expectantly as he popped his head into the room.

"Yea?" she sighed back.

He pushed the door open wider before cautiously walking in. He sat next to her on the bed and that's when she noticed the rollers in his head.

"How are you feeling, hon?"

She looked over at Junior—who was snacking on a big Honey Crisp apple—and smiled before looking back at her best friend. "Fine. I still can't even thank you enough though..." she looked down and fiddled with her fingers.

"Hey..." he scooted closer and gave her a one-armed hug. "It's fine, girl. You know I gotchu', boo," he threw her a reassuring smile and she gave him a soft smile in return.

"Thanks, Aus," she reached over to wrap both of her arms around his neck, hugging him fiercely. A small smile played on his lips before hugging her back just as tight.

"Austin!" Junior yelled before standing up and running to him. "You got candy?" he asked with a grin. The two unlocked from their previous embrace to look at Junior.

Austin feigned sadness and stuck out his lip before giving him an answer. "Nope. Sorry, buddy," Junior let out a breath and let his shoulders fall forward before going back to where he was sitting. Austin hated the disappointment on his face so he quickly came up with an idea. "Junior..."

"Yea?" he replied dishearteningly.

"We can go to the park if you want," Austin waited for Junior's reaction and when he turned around quickly he knew he was happy once again.

"Really?" he gushed.

"Yea. C'mon, buddy," he grabbed his hand and began walking before motioning for Aubrey to follow. She groaned because she was hoping she didn't have to go. Her headache was not to be trifled with and she knew she'd have a migraine soon, messing with this fool. "Don't be a priss," he smacked his lips and rolled his eyes dramatically.

"Fine," she threw her hands up in frustration and Austin immaturely clapped his hands while smiling in triumph. He took his rollers out while Aubrey and Junior waited for him at the door. Once he put on his shoes they walked out together. Austin locked the door and soon they were off to the nearby park.

The park didn't last long considering it was getting dark earlier around this time of year. "Junior, c'mon! We're about to go back home!" Aubrey hollered after an hour.