Chapter 25

"You seem to really have a hold on me. And every time that we break up, we turn around and make up. This can't go on now. I gotta' move on now. It's not the fact that I don't love you no more, but I gotta' break this bad habit."

- Bad Habit by Destiny's Child

**********

WEEKS LATER...

Payton knocked on Aubrey's door softly. After a long pause she eventually muttered for him to enter and he does so. "Hey," he whispers as he peeks his head in. She looked up at him with a deadpan expression and he sighed, shaking his head. "I know you're mad at me. Trust me though. When that contract—"

"You can terminate the contract," she whispered, looking down angrily at her fisted hands in her lap. "You promised you'd take care of her, but she is still under the same roof as me."

"Aubrey, I can't just—"

"You can't or you won't?" she spart icily. Of course, Payton was mad at Ciara also, but what was he to do? The contract was signed by both of them. Both of them have to agree on the terms of the contract. Payton can't decide what's best. He never had to deal with anything like this. He was currently taking it up with his lawyer, but until it's solved... Well, Aubrey would just have to deal with it.

He sighed once again, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I'm terribly sorry, Aubrey. I don't know what else you want me to do—"

"Make. Her. Leave. Make the contract void," she said simply, now staring him dead in his eyes.

"I..." he stopped himself. "I only came in here to ask of you a favor," he began, trying to change the subject.

"You want a favor from me?" she cackles sarcastically. "Even after I requested one from you? A request that didn't get through your thick skull, may I add."

"Please—"

"You're bluffing," she semi-shrieked before eyeing him. "I think I'll pass," she muttered before standing up and heading towards the bathroom. Payton immediately side steps, grabbing her forearm. She looked down at his hand before looking back up at him slowly. "What're you doing?" she whispered.

"I just want you to help prepare for my birthday party in two weeks. That's it. You don't have to talk to me the entire two weeks or even after that. I just want your help. The other three want to throw me this big—"

"Okay," she said simply.

His eyebrows knit together. "Okay?" he widened his eyes. "What's the catch?"

"Fine! I won't do it, since you—"

"No. No, I'm sorry," he immediately said before putting his hands up in surrender. She looked at him expectantly as he stared at her.

"Anything else, Your Excellency?" she murmured.

Payton completely ignored the comment. "That's it and thank you, Aub. I owe you. BIG time," he said, exiting her room, but not before flashing her his pearly whites.

"You already owe me BIG time," she mocked and rolled her eyes at the already closed door. Why was she letting this slide?

-

TWO WEEKS LATER...

Aubrey eyed Ciara as she swayed to Nice and Slow by Usher with a man she knew nothing of. Payton seemed to be cool with it. The man obviously wanted Ciara in the worst way, but—he and everyone else—would never cross those boundaries. If he was to even start edging towards her lower back Payton would be up and out of his seat, charging at him.