Chapter 34

"What we got is something else. So fire, I can't help myself. Wanna' see some fireworks. Let our love explode. So, I'll rerun every episode. I'm in overload. We'll remember this night. Show me how you feel. Let me know it's real tonight. Oh. There's nowhere I'd rather be than here with you."

- Rather Be by H.E.R.

**********

Silverware clinked, clanked, and scraped against the fancy plates. Aubrey, Payton, Kasey, and Austin were in the dining room eating what Payton's new chef had whipped up for them. Junior was upstairs in his old bedroom and the girls were out of town. Everyone else at the table seemed to be enjoying the meal but Aubrey spat inwardly with distaste. He should've put Emmanuel in charge.

Aubrey moved the food around on her plate while the other three men were too engrossed in conversation to notice. Although, every once and awhile Payton would slyly look over at her as he continued to talk to Austin and Kasey. She was clearly still in shock about seeing Kasey. When she saw him standing at the from door of Austin's apartment she hadn't known what to say to him... Hell, she still didn't know what to say. Of course she had many questions, but she still thought it was all a dream and it was just taking her awhile to wake up from it. She thought he was dead and blown to bits with the rest of their family. It was definitely a whole lot to wrap her head around. She didn't know whether to cry or to scream in excitement. So, she chose to stare at him every chance she got. He was here. Her brother was here. In the flesh.

Kasey caught her staring and cocked an eyebrow, a small smile on his face. "Are you okay, Nicole?" he asked, calling her by her middle name. She almost threw a dagger at him with her eyes, but subtly nodded instead.

"I'll go grab Junior while you get ready Austin," she finalized before standing abruptly. Austin started to say something, but stopped himself to gape and nod.

She walked up the stairs quickly and went to the room Payton decorated for Junior. Aubrey smiled lovingly when she realized Junior was fast asleep on the small couch. The TV was on and Motown Magic was playing at low volume.

Aubrey gently picked up his sleeping figure and placed him on her hip with his head on her shoulder. Payton watched her as she emerged back into the dining room. Austin was putting on his coat. "Wait, you're leaving? Where are you going?" Kasey asked once he actually realized what was happening.

"Yes. I stay with Austin," she told him.

"Then why am I staying here? Isn't he your boyfriend?" his eyebrows furrowed as he averted his attention to Payton.

Payton cut her off before she could even begin. "Of course not," he gritted out as if boyfriend were a blasphemous word.

Everyone looked at him and Aubrey laughed while shaking her head. Unbelievable. "Well, as you can see, no. I just used to work for him," she spat icily.

Payton growled. "With," his eyes narrowed.

"Whatever. Same difference," she explained, nearly rolling her eyes at him as she grabbed Junior's jacket.

"Okay..." Kasey prolonged while looking between them. "Obviously there's something here that I'm missing."

Aubrey spoke up before Payton had the chance to. "Nope. Nothing at all. You're only staying here because there isn't enough room at Austin's."

"So, you're just gonna' leave me here? I'm your brother, Nicole," he whispered indignantly.

She rolled her eyes. "Stop using my middle name, Charles."