PROLOGUE

"What does it mean when your heart's already numb? You're professional. Won't treat it like it's personal."

- Professional by The Weeknd

**********

For reasons unknown she decided to wear her new Steve Madden heels and was also carrying her own luggage, so that wasn't making anything easier. She stumbled up the graphite steps and ahead of her was a butler of some sort. He had a wide back and was balding at the top of his head... and he was really tall. He didn't even offer to help her out, barely even said a word to her, just told her to follow him and continued to walk without a look back. She could clearly see he hadn't taken a liking to her almost immediately. She stared holes into the back of his head and scoffed in irritation.

Ugh, how rude? He could've helped at the very least, jeez. He shouldn't have come out the house if he wasn't going to be of any help. He never even gave me his name.

Her thoughts were cut short because the two front doors of the house were opened. The butler turned silently to make sure she was still following behind and they proceeded to walk inside.

Well... she tripped in.

A gasp escaped her lips before a nervous laugh followed after. She has always been terribly clumsy, especially when she was a little girl but she finally managed to collect herself. A sheepish smile fell upon her face realizing quickly that she was already making a fool out of herself. Shaking her head off her thoughts share then sat both suitcases against the wall. Turning around with broad eyes she watched as the house only grew bigger with each glance. The house was immense. It was definitely more like a mansion if anything. She was quite speechless to literally say the least. Thinking the driveway was a masterpiece was foolish compared to... this.

"Wow..." Aubrey whispered amongst herself.

There was a grand staircase that separated down the middle into two. One side was going into the, obvious, West Wing, and the other, to the East Wing. They ended in long hallways. She could briefly see the kitchen and the huge windows in the back of the house that showcased a beautiful backyard. The upstairs consisted of a long hallway and multiple doors that hid whatever treasure that was behind them. The entire house held so much promise.

"If you'd like, you are welcomed to look around," the butler muttered, breaking her out of her trance, before leaning against the door and motioning for her to continue.

Aubrey nodded happily and took that opportunity to begin exploring. She looked up and around as she headed up the left staircase. She was fast, but hesitant, like a little mouse. When she looked back at the butler his amusement was evident in the way he chuckled and smirked.

She rolled her eyes and continued on without saying a word. Once she got to the top of the stars she peered to the right, which was the East Wing, and explored further down that way. There was fancy art canvases scattered throughout the walls, with a mix of football memorabilia. A few caught her eager eye and she soaked in all the colors and faces. There was a faint creaking noise that startled her so she began speed-walking, as fast as her heels could carry her, back towards the stairs. She came to a halt once she noticed the front doors were closed and her suitcases were the only things there. No one was standing at the door. It was as if the butler was never there.

Aubrey panicked and began descending the stairs, trying to take two at a time. Somewhere during that process she twisted her foot and, of course, tumbled down the last three steps. She sat on the beautiful porcelain-like floor feeling defeated. She hadn't been here 15 minutes and had already managed to hurt herself.