Chapter 42

"There's nothing I want more in this world than somebody who loves me naked. Someone who never asks for love but knows how to take it. Are you that somebody who sees a wall and breaks it? Are you ready to fight just see what's lost behind my flaws? Can you love me naked?"

- Naked by Ella Mai

**********

Aubrey slid her shirt off as she watched the sun rise. The colors in the sky swirled together perfectly. The water was warm and clear. She dipped her big toe into the shallow end and smiled happily before waddling into the water. It felt heavenly against her skin and the rush of the waterfall was remarkably soothing. She knew she didn't have to worry about anyone looking for her. She had already finished preparing lunch. Aubrey smiled in content and knew she'd have no problem falling asleep out here again.

"Then I'd have to discipline you," came a hard voice. Startled, Aubrey jumped into the air and realized she had just voiced her thoughts aloud.

"What're you doing out here?" she asked, ignoring his threat while sinking lower into the water—if possible.

"I could ask you the same question. I didn't hire you or make you live with me to watch as you use my waterfall as a hot tub. Plus, I told you that you couldn't come out here until it was safe," he whispered more harshly than he intended.

Aubrey rolled her eyes as her anger surfaced. "Well, tough, because I didn't come live here with you just to watch you use your third leg to fill everything that has a vagina."

Payton was taken aback and the shock was evident on his face. "Aubrey..." he closed his eyes slowly, pinched the bridge of his nose, and exhaled audibly. "I'm sorry for what happened after the awards show. I really am," he opened his eyes. "How many times do I have to apologize? I told you I didn't have séx with her," his voice softened.

"You not having séx with her changes nothing, Pay," her voice cracked. "I can't keep doing this back-and-forth ping pong game with my heart. I love you, but I can't let you keep doing this," she nearly pleaded. "I just can't," she put her head down and watched the little fishes swim past and nip at her.

His eyes flashed and he sat down on a nearby rock. "I don't know what's wrong with me," he shook his head. "I can't seem to get you out of my system no matter how hard I try. I want you every single moment of the day, but it's when I try to get you out of my head that I go astray. I swear that it's not meant to hurt you. I just..." he sighed. "I don't know what to make of these feelings that are forming for you."

Aubrey's eyes grew wide at his confession.

"What're you doing to me?" Payton whispered and looked her in her eyes. He stared at her as if he wanted to see through her and into her soul. It made her knees go weak under the water and her dusk nipples harden.

"I want you," she said slowly, knowing she would regret it later. Aubrey didn't care though. She couldn't bring herself to. This man was an arrogant bastard, but she loved him to pieces.

Payton groaned and shut his eyes as if in pain. When he opened them they were a dark color. Every time.

God, she loved the way he looked at her.

She loved him.

Payton stood from his sitting position on the rock. He lifted a hand and slowly began unbuttoning his shirt while never losing eye contact with Aubrey. She watched his every move and her breathing became labored with each piece of clothing he shed.