Chapter 53

"So, this is a sincere, unscripted, unwritten for all that you've given, forgiven. I'm driven. I wanna' be better than I was, greater than I am. So, I say... All I'm trying to say is I thank you."

- Thank You by Kehlani

**********

Aubrey hadn't prayed this hard in a long time. Ever since she lost Austin and Anastasia she was on her knees more than ever before. She just couldn't lose Payton too. Her whole world would literally tip over. She wouldn't be able to recover from that. So when the doctor's told Aubrey that there was a chance he could never be able to walk again, let alone play football she damn near fainted. Aubrey knew that kind of news would crush him. Football was his life, but at least he would live.

He had to be put into an induced coma for two weeks and during those two weeks she never left his side. They were the longest two weeks of her life so when he woke up it was a miracle that Payton could still feel everything. Aubrey thanked God silently that he allowed Payton to still feel his legs. The doctor's informed them that he would still have a hard time walking for awhile just because of how long he was on bed rest.

It was just a few weeks for Aubrey, but she knew they felt even longer for Payton. She looked over at him sadly as he slept in his bed. Watching him suffer and seeing all those IV's hooked up to him did something to her spirit. Kasey was such a great help though. He let Junior stay with him for awhile and would bring him to the hospital everyday after school to keep Aubrey company.

"Momma, can we sing the Thomas and Friends song for Mr. Man?" Junior asked happily. Anastasia passed before she had the chance to teach it to him so Payton taught it to him instead.

Aubrey looked over at a sleeping Payton and smiled. "Of course, baby. I think Payton would like that."

Junior inhaled quickly and began singing wholeheartedly. "They're two, they're four, they're six, they're eight. Shunting trucks and hauling freight. Red and green and brown and blue. They're the really useful crew. All with different roles to play 'round Tidmouth Sheds or far away. Down the hills and round the bends, Thomas and his friends—"

"If I am sleeping do not sing in my ear, please," came Payton's gruff voice, cutting them off. Both Aubrey and Junior looked at him with a shocked look. He had barely uttered two words since he came out of his coma a few weeks ago. Aubrey knew he'd be discharged today, but it was still so good to hear his voice.

"Dad!" Junior hollered before Aubrey could say anything which resulted in Payton smiling slowly.

"Hey, buddy. Come here," he nodded his head at the space next to him on the hospital bed.

Aubrey had both of her hands over her mouth and didn't realize tears were falling until she tasted the salt. "Pay..." she whispered and his eyes met hers.

"Awe, baby, don't cry. I'm okay," he winked and Junior smiled at the both of them.

She shook her head frantically. "I th-thought I lost you. When I saw you losing so much blood. I didn't know... I just can't lose you. Then—"

"Shh, babe, come here. I love you. I'm not going anywhere," he spoke lowly. Aubrey's lip quivered as she walked over to him and crouched down to lay on his shoulder.

"The doctor's said you might not walk again, but you reacted so great to their tests so they changed that. Now, you may have trouble running again, but you'll gain your strength back eventually. They said you'll be able to play again, which is a miracle. You were badly hurt so you'll be out for half the season. Payton, I am so sorry. I—"