Chapter 1

"I'm tired of doing me, cause it ain't working, no. I'm always doing me. I was just searching but it ain't working. But doing you is so much better. I was doing me, couldn't find nothing better."

- Tired of Doing Me by Keyshia Cole feat. Tank

**********

MONTHS BEFORE...

Aubrey tapped her son's shoulder lazily, before wiping the sleep from her eyes. "Wake up, June Bug," she said, yawning.

"No..." he whined. "I don't want to," he turned around and faced the other direction, closing his eyes once again.

"It's nine o'clock already and you have to be at school by ten thirty. We're running late," she complained. Neither one of them were morning people, but it was the best she could do. It was either morning Pre-K, or afternoon Pre-K.

Junior sat up slowly and looked at his mom with sleepy eyes. She threw him a smile before kissing his cheek and getting out the bed. He climbed out after her and she picked up his clothes from yesterday. "Mommy, my shirt is sticky," he complained and looked up at her expectantly.

"I know. I'm sorry, baby. I'll clean it off with a towel. Just put it on for today," she smiled at him, knowing it was a forced smile. Aubrey didn't like living this way. Especially since she had a four year-old son. Providing for him is her main priority, but they're living a rough life. It was hard trying to make ends meet, but she was always doing the best she could.

After they both brushed their teeth and washed their faces she told him to grab his coat and shoes. She rushed him out the door before turning to lock it. He watched her patiently with his hand raised so she could usher him down the hallway. They walked two doors down and she began knocking swiftly.

A few seconds later she heard the locks turning. "Yes?" Aubrey's best friend, Austin, asked dazedly as he opened the door.

"Keys," she said simply and there was a moment of silence when he went back inside before he tossed her the keys, slamming the door soon after. She shook her head and lightly laughed. Austin wasn't a morning person either so this was expected.

The two walked out of the apartment building and strolled over to Austin's black Pontiac Grand Prix. Her silver, beat-down G6 was currently in the shop and has been for some time now. Luckily her best friend could come through in these tough times.

She strapped Junior in his booster seat and made sure he was secure before walked around to the driver's side. She checked her mirrors, smiled, and started the car. "Ready?" she asked him, while looking to the back through the mirror.

"Ready!" Junior hollered enthusiastically. She smiled at him again before pulling off.

Junior always pointed out colors and shapes on the ride to school. He loved nature and was a huge people person, just like his mommy. Aubrey was proud of the way she was raising her son all by herself. He was so smart and so respectful. She just wished she could give him a better life. One she never had. She sighed tiredly before turning the radio volume up.

After dropping Junior off at the school Aubrey headed to Sweet Daddy-O's Diner, where she worked as a waitress. When she parked she furrowed her eyebrows before climbing out of the car. There was a black Tesla Model S in the front, parked by the entrance doors. Aubrey couldn't do anything else but stop to gawk at it. She didn't know anyone who owned one so it caught her by surprise. She was a big car and motorcycles fanatic so that's how she install knew the name of it. Although... it did confuse her a tad bit. She wondered why anyone would be on this side of town if they had that kind of money.