Chapter 17

"I don't see how something good could come from me loving you. The death of me must he your mission. 'Cause with every hug and kiss you're snatching away every bit of strength that I'm gone need to fight off the inevitable."

- Poison by Beyoncé

**********

Payton went everywhere he could think of to look for Aubrey. He went to Justin's and, although it disturbed him, he asked where she was. Justin gave him a hard time, of course, but Payton eventually walked away when he realized she wasn't there. When he got to Austin's apartment he knew he couldn't ask where she was. Because if she wasn't there that would only raise suspicions and Austin would worry.

"Hey, Aubrey told me to come by," he told Austin, giving him a small smile.

"She's not here, but I'm willing to let you come in for a bit. You can come on over anytime," he shamelessly flirts while raking over Payton's body with hungry eyes.

"Uh... Umm..." he gulped. "No thanks. I'll just... uhh... go now," he couldn't have left the apartment building any faster, which caused Austin to chuckle sinisterly.

"He'll be back," Austin assured himself while closing the door.

Payton hated this. He blamed himself entirely. He just wanted to talk to her, but he knew he couldn't let this get him off of his square. He had a game the following day and if he didn't show up to the hotel soon his coach would sit him out for the first quarter. He sighed in defeat as he headed home to pack his things.

When Payton woke up the following day he felt awful. He hadn't slept and waited up all night next to his phone for Aubrey to give him a call... but she never did. He knew he had to get his head in game mode, but it was impossible. She was all she could think about. He tried to stop thinking about her, but to avail. And that cost him to play horribly during his game. Coach was so pissed. Payton just couldn't seem to keep his mind on track. She flooded his entire thought which made him unfocused. He didn't catch any of the passes thrown to him. Hearst would throw him a good pass, but Payton would drop it. Hearst would throw another great pass, but Payton would get intercepted. Another awesome pass came, but Payton would simply not be in the vicinity catch it. Another incomplete pass.

The crowd went crazy when Payton finally caught one of Hearsts' dimes. Payton sighed in relief internally, but that was quickly replaced with shock when he landed face first in the turf... hard. His whole body immediately ached. The hit had everyone in the stands quiet. When the realization came that he wasn't getting up there were murmurs throughout the stadium. The announcers voiced that Payton "Shadow" Hampton had possibly gotten injured.

Meanwhile, Payton was going in-and-out of consciousness and his head felt like it had literally been split open. He looked around before noticing that his helmet had flew 15 feet away from him, making him groan and shut his eyes. He'd probably have a concussion. Everything hurt. Everything ached.

Not even a few seconds later the medical examiners and trainers were rolling a gurney over to a distressed Payton. They began throwing questions at him quickly, but Payton couldn't respond. He felt like the wind had been knocked out of him. His throat was dry and his body felt immobile. He answered none of the examiner's questions even though he kept trying to speak so they had to go to their last resort. They put him on the gurney and fastened him up quickly before wheeling him off of the field. Coach Moretti came to his side just as they were wheeling past him. He roamed his eyes over Payton's body in horror.

"Get him together. Now! I don't care if you have to do some Karate Kid voodoo mess. Just. Do. It," he growled and the first examiner nodded promptly.