Chapter 39: I'm Beginning to Realize

LAST REGULAR CHAPTER

------------------------------------------------

"Daniel Johnson."

The name sticks out as I look up to see Daniel receiving his diploma. He looks happy and the crowd cheers. More names are called, more people graduating.

Kid from kid. The nerdy kid I never talked to. The quiet pretty girl. The depressed one. People go by and I don't know there name. After about three more I start to panic. I can't place a name on one of these.

I start to breathe fast and my palms get sweaty.

"Jenna Smith." The principal calls.

Already my turn? Just two people ago, Daniel was called up.

I clear my throat and make my way up to the stage. I walk slowly up the stage.

"Congratulations." The principal says handing me my diploma,

"You really deserve it." He adds and I smile slightly.

I hear the audience clap as I walk off the stage, a few whistles along with it.

I'm still upset when I find my seat. I just lean back and close my eyes.

"This is your class of 2016!" The principal announces. Caps fly up, I watch them for a second, then join them.

People hug one another, even if they're not close to them. They hug whoever’s next to them. I turn to see a short brunette and I wrap my arms around her shoulders.

"We did it!" I say excitedly.                                                        

"You hate me." She says turning towards me.

"Listen, I'm sorry I was mean to you last year or whenever, but I really am sorry. I just wish I had more time to make it up, or to get to know more people."

"It's okay." The girl sighs and walks away to hug more people.

Suddenly I'm picked up by someone. The person wraps their arms around my waist and throws me over their shoulder.

"Let me go!" I laugh.

"Jenna, we did it!" Daniel says.

"You did it! Now you're off to California. You have the best part of your life in front of you."

I laugh nervously as Daniel lets me down gracefully. He looks so happy, while I'm sad.

"I'm proud of you." I say.

"No, I'm proud of you." Daniel says poking my stomach, then he leaves.

I hug a few other people that I talked to. I introduce myself to people I had no idea that existed, most of them are really cool.

Finally I see my family. I hug my relatives as they congratulate me.

"You're so pretty." My sixteen year old cousin tells me.

I smile at her as Chase hugs me from behind.  I recognize his touch on my body.  He holds me securely, almost tightly, probably to claim that I'm his.

I turn around and smile.

"Congrats babe, you made it." Chase whispers.

I turn around fully and wrap my arms around Chase's broad shoulders.  I hug Chase close to me for a few seconds before I whisper to him.

"We need to talk."

"Okay." Chase says, he leads me to a quiet spot.

"What's up?" Chase asks me as we sit down on a bench.