Chapter 16: I Made My Mind up...Hopefully

On Monday Daniel didn't come to school, I should know my main focus was him.

On Tuesday Daniel didn't come again. Same with Wednesday.

Today I'm fed up with him not coming to school, even if he really is sick.

After school, I plan on going to his house and demanding what was wrong with him. The day stretches about and feels like a million years were passing by instead of hours.

When the final bell rings I'm itching to get out of my seat, and when I do I rush out of school.

Once I arrive at Daniels house, his mom answers the door.

"He's upstairs, he says he's not feeling good, but I don't believe him. Something must be up." Nancy says.

"Oh okay thank you." I say walking up their swirling steps.

I knock gently on Daniels door when I arrive, his door is filled up with sports posters. But the funny thing is inside his room nothing litters it. He has a plain navy comforter, white curtains, and tan walls.

"Come in." Daniel says, his voice sounds normal.

I open the door slowly to find Daniel sitting up on his bed with grey sweats on and no shirt.

His hazel eyes look at me innocently. His mouth is slightly parted, and his hair is messy and cute like always.

"What are you doing here?" He asks me.

"Why weren't you at school, you seem fine." I say sitting on the edge of his bed.

"I'm just not feeling my best." Daniel says slipping on a t-shirt, sadly.

"Why's that?" I ask pushing answers out of him.

"No reason, just go off with James, and play with his feelings instead of mine." Daniel snarls.

I was taken off guard for a moment. I knew some of this had to do with Daniels jealously, but did he really think I play with his and James' feelings?

"I don't play with your feelings, you played with mine so don't act like you're the good guy."

"I did it to protect you, but I wouldn't expect you to get it."

"What do you mean protect me?" I ask, I was extremely confused.

"Are you serious? I only dated Natalie to protect you, I knew what she did to you. I knew she threatened you with that picture, and she would've done a lot worse if I wasn't dating her and we weren't friends. Even these past few months I've told her not to mess with you."

"No you're lying." I say.

"Why would I lie, I broke up with Natalie because I couldn't take it anymore. She was a bitch, and she was an awful kisser, so much worse than you."

"Wow." I say quietly and slowly taking in the new information.

"Jenna, I love you. And I mean it, I've loved you for so long. I wish I would've told you, I wish that I didn't have to date Natalie. I wish you were mine." Daniel says quietly.

I'm completely baffled by his words, I never thought I'd be hearing them. I don't know what got into me, but I start to tear up.

"Daniel, I don't love you. I met someone who makes my life fun, and more adventurous. Our little thing we had is over with." I say.

Then I quickly leave before Daniel sees the tears sliding down my face.

***

"He doesn't even treat you good! Why do you like him?" Kennedy asks me.

Kennedy always gave me encouraging advice, so when I hear this I'm shocked.

"I don't know. I can't help it, I don't know who I like though."

"James treats you so much better, this frustrates me so much!" Kennedy yells.

"You don't know what's best for me! You've known me for a few months, don't act like you're my best friend!" I say immediately regretting it.

Kennedy inhales then exhales slowly.

"I uh I like Daniel." Kennedy says quietly.

I bite my lower lip and I nod my head, trying not to worry.

"You guys don't talk though." I say after awhile.

"Not in front of you." Kennedy says.

"You're right James does treat me much better. I hope you and Daniel work." I say walking out of the room smiling.

I dial James' number, he picks up on the third ring.

"Hello?" His low voice answers.

"I'm sorry, I figured the whole situation out. I really want to be with you."

"Good, because I have another mystery spot for us."

I smile and close my eyes.

Be happy, this is good, this is better than being with Daniel.