Chapter 1: Somebody New in the Old Town

Chapter 1

"Jenna, get to school you're going to be late!" My mom yells at me as I eat my cereal.

"Eh, the teachers got used to it." I reply chewing my food.

"I swear to god, if you don't leave now I will ground you from the party you're going to Friday."

I groan and put my bowl in the sink, then grab my keys off the counter.

I slam the door on the way out, once I get into my truck I blare my music.

Soon enough my mom comes storming out of the door in her robe, she's motioning for me to turn the music down. I just laugh and pull out of the driveway quickly as she tries to chase me.

I live in Jefferson City a small city in Missouri. I mean it's not just farms, but it doesn't have most stores, or restaurants. Most of our neighbors were elders, so my mom hated it when I blared the music, especially when it was rap and hip hop.

When I pull into the parking lot at school, I notice nobody was outside, meaning class has already started.

I was late so many times the teachers gave up on me. You could say I was the bad girl of the school, since I mean there was no bad boys. They were all scared shitless of everything. I was the most popular girl in school, there were some girls like me, but I scared them so they went back to there lame lives. Probably because they knew they were going to leave this shit town after high school, but this is all I had.

As I walked into my first class, the teacher looks at me.

"I would tell you to get to class on time, but we both know that's never going to happen." Mr. Tanner says.

"You finally caught on." I say smiling.

"Take a seat, before I give you a detention." He says turning back to the board.

The only seat left was in the back, next to a new boy. I knew this because a)this school was extremely small, b)I've never seen this boy before and, c) this boy was actually hot

I take a seat next to the guy, he had an earphone in his right ear.

"Hey are you new here?" I ask smiling, I was glad I curled my blonde hair and wore a cute outfit.

"Yup." He says smiling at me. He was British, oh my gosh girls were going to be all over this.

"I'm Jenna, I'm guessing you're from England or something."

"How'd you guess? and I'm Daniel." He asks chuckling quietly.

I shrugged my shoulders.

He had sandy blonde hair that swept right above his eyebrows, he was muscular and I could tell he was tall.

"Tell me if you need me to show you around or something." I smile leaning back into my chair.

The rest of the class went by extremely fast, I left without talking to the Daniel again. I wasn't a desperate popular girl, I actually made people think I was hard to get.

***

"He's so hot." My friend Lilly says.

"He said hi to me!" Alie says.

"He made eye contact with me!" Nikki says.

I've heard so many comments about Daniel, I was done. He was officially taking my spot as the queen/King of the school.

"Jenna so um how's your relationship with him?" Alie asks smiling at me.

These three girls were my "friends", or at least that's what I call them. They're more like girls that follow me around, and I pretend like I like them, but the truth is my only friend was a girl who moved to California two years ago who I think forgot about me. We were best friends, girls looked at us and got jealous of our friendship. She ruled the school with me, but then she flew to California one day without even telling me. She called me once telling me her dad got a job in Los Angeles, she didn't want to face me in person and tell me. But I mean I guess it's better this way, having the whole school to myself.

"What do you mean?" I say bored.

"Well some girls just don't know if you like him or not." Nikki says.

"Nah he's not my type." I say eating my pasta.

"So you wouldn't be mad if any of us dated him?" Lilly asks.

"No I don't care."

"OMG that's great!" They all say at once then laugh. They were best friends, but if they had to do something for me they'd stab each other in the back. I hated that.

***

"He likes Natalie!" Nikki says.

"Cool." I say as we sit in the back of my truck after school.

"You're supposed to say Natalie is a bitch and doesn't deserve anyone." She says taking a drink of her coke.

"Nikki she deserves this, you're acting like the bitch." I say putting my black sunglasses on my face.

Nikki gasps, and I just shrug. We skipped the last few classes of school just to get a good tan, but everyone started exiting outside of the school soon enough.

"Daniels walking our way." Nikki says fixing her dirty blonde hair.

"Great." I say drinking my Coke with a little bit of Vodka in it, but Nikki didn't know, she was trying to get me not to drink anymore but it was a life style to me.

"Hey, Jenna right?" Daniel asks putting an arm over the side of my truck.

"Yep, get your arm off my truck."

He took his arm off then bowed down, as if I was a queen.

"I would like to formally invite you to my party I'm hosting on Friday, you're the first to know about it." Daniel says planting a long lingering kiss on my hand, I felt no attraction to him. In fact, I was getting annoyed with him.

"There's actually a party hosted by my friend Alie, but I'll invite you to come." I say drawing my hand away.

"I'll be pleased to see you there." Daniel says, "what's your number so I can get the address?" Daniel adds.

"Give me your hand." I say pulling a sharpie, I write my number on the back of his hand in bold letters.

"See you tomorrow." He says charmingly.

I turn back to Nikki's, who's eyes were bulging out of her head.