Chapter 21: Clingy Ex-Boyfriends and Cigarettes

I sit on the school steps outside as I wait for my mom to get off of work. Kennedy hates me, and Daniel refused to take me home. So it's either walk fifteen miles home at 10 pm, or wait thirty minutes for my to get off of work.

It gives me time to think about my decision. Why would I pretend that he was inappropriately touching me? Maybe I haven't changed at all. I'm just the same popular bitchy girl.

I set my face in my hands as I sit on the cold stairs. The quietness scares me, as well as the darkness. I feel like the only person on the Earth, but not in a free way, but like I'm totally and completely alone. The wind occasionally blows, making me shiver uncontrollably, but I knew I deserved it.

Soon enough I hear my moms car pull up, I take my hands out of my head and get in the car.

"Are you okay? I thought Daniel was supposed to take you home." My mom says when I get in the car.

"I'm fine, and he had to leave for his family vacation early."
***
I flip the cigarette around in my hands for awhile, it feels small and harmless. But I know it takes the pain away. I put my hood up on my head, I'm sitting on my roof which helps me deal with pain. It feels like I'm away from all of my problems.

I pull out my phone and dial Kennedy's number. I'm surprised she picks up at 1 a.m.

"Hello?"

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I don't mean to hurt you, but I really need you here. I just want

someone who actually likes me, I know you don't, but maybe you can change that."

"I'll be over in 15 we can talk then."

I smile as the line goes silent
***
I flip the lighter lid up, as the small flame lights up the area around me. I light the cigarette, and stick it in my mouth.

I take a long drag, and then I start coughing excessively.

It's been awhile since I've smoked, I gave up on it awhile back when I realized it wasn't going to solve my problems.

I know what I'm doing now is the stupidest thing in the world, but it seems like my only option.

I take another drag, then I blow out perfect circles.

By the time I hear Kennedy getting out of her car, I'm already a little high.

I hear Kennedy up the tree next to the roof. I see her and smile, she not so gracefully jumps on the roof.

She walks over next to me as a blow out smoke. I lean my head back and take a deep breath.

"I made a lot of mistakes."

"You're high, we can talk about this tomorrow." Kennedy says sitting down next to me, she doesn't have her glasses on, without them she looks kind of familiar. Kennedy's presence always brings that feeling when she's around me.

"I'm not that high."

"What'd you do then?" Kennedy asks eagerly.

"I loved Daniel, when you did. Which I do, but I should've kept it to myself. But I really screwed up when I ruined his chance into an England college."

"Jenna, I don't like him. I was just pretending, because there was something off about him. It was like he was almost using you, Natalie and him broke up then he went straight for you."

"You're kidding right?"

"I know I'm sorry, that was such a bitch move."

"It's fine! I just made a bitch move, I'm in the understanding mood right now. But tomorrow I'm so gonna get mad."