9: The New Girl

#DamageOnYouTheNewGirl

“No! You absolutely cannot do that!"

Pakiramdam ko bumukas uli ang tahi sa ginawa. Coach Mallari's concerned eyes traveled to my front and I immediately get the reason why! "Please, Coach, hindi naman ang tahi ko ang sasalo ng shuttlecock, ha?"

Almost every faces in the gymnasium turned at our place. Coach Garcia examined my defeated face and went down from the bleachers to tap my shoulders. Neither of those did pacify me.

"We know that, of course!" sagot niya at tumawa. "Pero, hijo, alam namin na gusto mong maglaro for this year's Olympics but given the situation—"

I didn't let them finish as I raised my shirt and some girls shrieked behind me. Meanwhile, Coach Mallari transfixed his eyes somewhere, as if disgusted to see the healing stitches, and Coach Garcia asked me to put it back down. "Coach, you can't do this. Paano makakalaro ang team kung kulang ng isa?"

A wind on my right told me a familiar presence is coming towards me. "We'll train the students who almost got into sa tryouts, that's the only way we have now, hijo."

"Oh, I get it," I said, clenching my jaw horribly. "You want me out of the team? Pero tinatakpan n'yo lang 'yung main agenda? Ha?"

"Miguel!" spat Coach Mallari. "I will not tolerate that voice to a teacher like us!"

Teacher, my ass. Coach Garcia seemed to not fazed about my shouting. "That's for the best, hijo. Besides, you can still play for the last time next year! Save the best for last, right?"

"Save the best for last? So you're saying I didn't give my best in the past two years?"

Coach Mallari, looking affronted, left Coach Garcia with me. Before he made a huge distance, I heard him whimpering, 'What does he think? The doctors magicked him and the wound he's got won't break apart?'

Coach opened hso mouth and catched someone on left wing: Primo, walking briskly towards us. Clutching the ridiculous medicine bag he's gotten for me, he waves at us and point at the bag when he saw me gawping.

"Balik na lang tayo bukas. In my room. I'll alert the others, too. Okay ba?"

"I don't have to wait for tomorrow, Coach, ano ka hilo?" diin ko. "And who knows maybe tomorrow, Coach Mallari had persuaded you to not let me practice?"

"Hello, Coach." he greeted. "I was looking for you sa building n'yo but they said you'd been summoned here. Ten minutes ka nang late para uminom, Migs."

"Hello, Villonco." he smiles weakly. "I think you two have other matters to discuss; Primo, you know where I do my classes?" he nods yes. "Will meet you there with the team, I'll forward the time sa group chat niyo na lang, okay?"

Coach had given me an apologetic smile and goodbye, all of those told me that their decision was already final. Incensed, nauna na akong maglakad palabas ng gym, ignoring some greetings from lower years occupying the area this time. The day I got back school-ing, I was bombarded by questions and worries from people who know me or never heard of me until the news of robbery and murder flew to every corners of UW.

"We thought it was some kind of stalker!" said one third-year female across the classroom when I returned studying. "Hey, Tina, hindi ba akala mo siya 'yung matagal nang sumusunod sa'yo?"

"Kala nga namin father lang ng isang student!" blurted one of my classmates.

"Oh, to hell with that he did.. I mean..." said Laurene, one time at lunch. "Hindi naman sa sinasabi ko na deserve ng lahat ng students na mayayaman matambangan or what... but Miguel is not the only one from a rich family, ha!"