Ch-9 Just a kid

That was crazy. Im not sure what happened but we all just played a giant chess game? Why in hell is that thing in a school? That was terrifying. Ron almost died! The second Ron fell off his knight, we all ran to him, worried. Harry felt his wrist.

"He's alive but not conscious, he should be alright." Harry confirmed.
"What do we do now?" Hermione asked.
"I think Mara and i should continue while you stay and watch Ron." Said Harry.

I usually keep quiet during these types of conversations but i felt i needed to say something.

"I think i should go back upstairs and get some help." I offered.
"Mara, if Voldamort is in this room, we need to fight together, we're supposed to do this together." Said Harry, sounding determined.

"Harrys right. You two need to go together." Hermione agreed. I really didn't want to open that door, but i know their right.

We walked through the door, and the man standing there was someone who id never expect to see. Professor Quirl.
he defence against the dark arts teacher is working with Voldamort? That makes no sense.

"You." Harry and i said in sync. Quirl turned around.
"Me." He smouldered.

While him and Harry talked, I noticed he was standing in front of a mirror. Ive seen that mirror before, in the hallway of the Gryffindor common room, why is it here? I looked in the mirror for a split second, as i did. I could feel my scar burning.

It felt as if someone put burnt metal on my forehead. I put pressure on it with my fingers. Just as i did, the mirror started to change. I could see my parents...

How, is that possible? I turned around but they weren't there. This mirror must have some sort of power.

"What is she doing?" Said Quirl, which made me focus my attention back to them.

"You looked in the mirror, didn't you? What did you see?" Quirl asked.
"I didn't see anything." I replied, stubbornly.

Quirl looked down at my robes, and the Slytherin logo on them.

"Slytherin, eh? Good to know at least one of you will be the child of Lord Voldamort some day."

That filled my head with so many questions. Whats a child of Voldamort and why would i be one because i'm in Slytherin.
Whatever it meant, it made me angry. I pulled out my wand and pointed it at him while yelling.

"Expelliarmus!"

Which made Quirl go flying into the mirror, breaking most of the glass. I noticed a part of his turban became lose. I moved closer to Harry as Quirl slowly stood up. He looked in the mirror and started slowly unwrapping his turban, the back of his bald head looked very crippled and wrinkly, and-
Blue?

Thats when i could see the skin moving around and sticking out, a face was being formed out of the head.

"Mara, get out of here." Harry demanded.
"What? No I'm staying here."
"Go! Now!" He yelled.

I sprinted out of the room quickly. I needed to find Dumbledore.

"Mara, where are you going?" Yelled Hermione. I didn't answer her. I kept running, once i found the trap door i tried to jumped back through it but I couldn't reach. I heard a noise through the corner of the room, it sounded like giggling. I could barley spot a human figure standing in the dark corner of the room.

"Hello?" I waited for an answer, not expecting one of course.

"Oh! Its the girl! The Potter girl!" Said the figure in a high pitched voice, as it came out of the corner. It was an ugly patchy man with bald spots on his head.

He almost looked like a rat-
Thats when i saw his finger. He was missing a finger. This isn't a man.

Its Peter Pettigrew.

I pointed my wand at him.

"Stay away from me."
I yelled. I was absolutely livid. This man is the reason my parents are dead. I could kill him. I could kill him right here on the spot.

"Don't hurt me, little girl!" He cried, putting his hands up and dropping to his knees.

"Please don't kill me. After all. Ron would be traumatized, i'm his rat, you know that." He begged.

Kill him, Mara. Just kill him, he deserves it. I was gonna do it. I was gonna kill him and watch the light leave his eyes.
But I couldn't.
Im just a kid.

I dropped my wand and broke down in tears.

"Oh, thank you, little girl!" He squealed.

He got up and thought for a minute. He then pulled up one of his sleeves, revealing his four arm and taking a brief look at it.

"Come to think of it... Lord Voldamort would be so proud of me if i gave him one of the Potters for him to kill." He whispered.

"Excuse me?"

He held out his wand and yelled-
"Crucio!"

In seconds it felt like i had been struck by lightening and burnt to death at the same time, i dropped to the floor, shaking and screaming in pain. I could hear Hermione call my name.
The pain lasted about ten seconds. Ten excruciatingly long seconds.
Peter laughed, a hideous laugh that sounded like choking on rusty nails.

I felt half dead.
then became unconscious.

I opened my eyes and recognized the room i was in. The hospital wing. Harry was in the bed next to me, talking with Dumbledore.
"You're awake!" Said Harry with a big smile on his face as he got out of his bed and sat on the edge of mine.

"What happened to you down there?" Harry asked, while Dumbledore left the room.

I wanted to tell Harry what happened, i really did. I wanted to tell him how Remus told me Rons rat betrayed our parents, and how someone turned him back into a man, and how he did the Cruciatus curse on me.
But I couldn't without telling him about everything else.

"I was running to go find Dumbledore so he could help us, but i slammed into the wall and it knocked me out." I lied. That should sound convincing enough, right?

"Im just glad you're ok." Harry grinned.

"What happened to you down there? I didn't want to leave you to fight Voldamort on your own."

"I didn't kill him. Dumbledore said it's possible for him to return, I believe he will once he gets strong enough."
I didn't respond. I didn't really know how to, i'm just glad we're all safe today.

-end of the school year-

Everyone at school, all gathered for the end of the year feast. Its interesting, when i first sat at this table i was devastated to be here, at the Slytherin table. Not having a clue who i am. Now, i'm friends with a fair few of these Slytherin dumb asses. And though i still might not know everything about myself, at least i'm aware of who i used to be. It feels so good to be surrounded by my friends and people who care about me.

"Earth to Mara!" Called out Draco while Blaise, Crabbe, and Goyle, all giggled.
"What?" I responded, giggling as well.
"You zoned out again."
"Did i? I honestly did not even notice."

Once me and Harry where about to get on the train to leave Hogwarts, i felt a wave of sadness wash over me. I wanted to be one of the last people on the train so that i could look at the beautiful castle once more.
"Mara, you coming?" Asked Harry.
"Yup."

Harry, Ron, Hermione and i all sat in the same seats we arrived to the school in. It felt like déjà vu. But it didn't at the same time.

Because i came to this beautiful school with a complete different mindset than i did when i was on my way.