Chapter 7 - After a long night

When the cab driver asked for an address, Yibo had initially wanted to give him his address, as Zhan offered to drive him home first. But then he thought of something very important, which he did not want to say out loud in front of the cab driver. So he whispered his question in Zhan's ear, "Can we go to another place for a bit? I need to kill some time because my best friend is certainly not spending his night alone. And I don't like having to listen to them today."

Zhan, who like Yibo was also drunk and didn't immediately understand what Yibo meant, had looked at him questioningly and wondered a bit, but then he understood what Yibo was getting at when he said he didn't want to have to listen to his best friend. And finally he nodded. He wasn't tired yet anyway.

When the cab driver arrived at the aforementioned address and the two got out, Yibo led the six-year older businessman to a building that had been empty for a long time. A building that has much importance to him and to which he had taken very few ever. Yibo wiped a small old sign on the door of the building and pointed to it.

"Aya Wang's Dance Theater?" Zhan asked, confused.

"Mn. It was my grandmother's dance theater. Like me, she loved dancing from a very young age. She always wanted to be a dancer, but never had the money. Then she met her first husband and he built her this dance theater. Five days a week she put on great shows there, where she too could finally stand on stage and dance. The theater was very popular with everyone. Because a ticket was Cheap since my grandmother always wanted everyone to be able to afford to go to her dance theater."

"Okay. It seemed to be doing well and was popular. But then what happened? Apparently it's been vacant for a very long time. Why didn't your family keep it going?"

"My grandmother met her second husband. She was already 60 years old. A full 25 years earlier, her first husband died and she was left alone. After all those years of loneliness, she was glad to have a new man in her life. She loved him very much and he read her every wish from her lips. Unfortunately, 10 years later my grandmother died of cancer. Out of love for her second husband, she had left everything to him. My father and my uncle only got their compulsory shares, which were only small. From then on, the dance theater belonged to her second husband. But he had no interest in continuing it. So he fired all the employees and the dancers and closed the dance theater. He sold everything. The only thing he couldn't get rid of was the house. It was already very old and would have needed a lot of work. In addition, he demanded a much too high price for it. So he took the money he inherited and got from the sale of the inventory and moved away. He left the dance theater to decay. My father, who practically grew up in this dance theater together with my uncle, wanted to buy it from his stepfather and reopen it. He took a large loan from a shady guy and transferred the money to his stepfather. He took the money and disappeared with it somewhere in the middle of nowhere. He had tricked my father. That's how he came into his debt."

"I see. So you inherited your love of dancing from your grandmother. And you want to help your father get rid of his debt because he was fooled and didn't just live beyond his means."

"Yeah right. It's not his fault. He trusted his stepfather and just wanted to save the dance theater his father built for his mother. He thought he could renovate it and make it what it used to be."

"Did they ever find your grandmother's second husband?"

"Mn. My father had reported him for fraud. But he had run off to a country that didn't hand him over to the authorities here. He lived really well on the money while my parents had to watch how they paid the loan and get us kids through."

"And what about your uncle? Couldn't he help you guys out?"

"My uncle died of a heart attack nine years ago. He always had a weak heart. But until then, he hadn't helped my parents. After all, he had nothing himself and always thought it was my father's own fault."