Chapter 36 - The Truth

Zhan and Yibo took the car back to the mansion, went inside to change, and then had two men who work for Zhan drive them downtown to the bar, where they stayed so that they could drive Zhan and Yibo back later and be on hand immediately in case of a possible emergency.

When the two arrived at the bar, Youn and Wooseok were already waiting for them. They had made a mistake in time and had already been there for an hour. And not only the two were there, but also Zhan's brother Cheng! The two had called him on their way back to the mansion and wanted to know from him how the conversation with Hai Kuan went.

Cheng, however, had not really wanted to tell how the conversation had gone and whether they were separated or not. He didn't know how to explain it on the phone, so Yibo suggested that he stay in the city and with them for one more night and meet him, Zhan, Youn and Wooseok at the bar.

The two of them got a drink at the bar and then joined the three of them at the table. They toasted to the evening and afterwards they all looked very expectantly at Cheng. Because Youn and Wooseok were also very interested in how the meeting between the two went. Especially Youn wanted to know, because he has known Yibo's big brother for as long as Yibo and still can't imagine that Hai Kuan should really be someone who cheats.

Cheng took a big gulp of beer and almost choked. He cleared his throat and began to narrate very slowly. As if he wanted to tell a mystical story that, if told more slowly, would produce a greater or stronger effect than if told quickly. Or in other words, he increased the tension.

"I drove to the meeting place. It was the park where he and I met, when he ran into me while he was jogging, when I came from the other side and had to dodge a woman with a stroller. I went to the park bench and sat down to wait for him there. In my mind, I was going over the words I had been thinking for days that I wanted to say to him. And then he came, very slowly and with his head bowed. He sat down next to me on the park bench and remained silent. I waited for him to start speaking, to apologize to me personally, but he remained silent. After a few minutes I turned to him and saw that he was crying. It made me really angry that he was crying, because if anyone had reason to, it was me, right?"

"Exactly!" Everyone agreed with him.

"Right. And that's what I told him. I said, 'Hey you don't have any reason to cry.' If anyone has the right to cry, it's me! After all, you cheated on me with your ex!" Thereupon he wiped the tears from his face and nodded. But he didn't say anything and kept silent. When I then, a few minutes later, said that I had made a decision, he looked at me with a strangely anxious look. I said, "I'm separating from you." And he really burst into tears. He was not able to say anything at all! He was just crying. And when I almost felt sorry for him, this guy showed up and held out his hand to me and said that he was Meng Yao and back together with Hai Kuan and that it was good that I was giving up voluntarily. And Hai Kuan said NOTHING to that. He just sat there and cried and cried."

"Wait a minute, that Meng Yao showed up there too?" Zhan asked, confused.

"Yes. And he said that he and Hai Kuan were a couple again." Replied Cheng.

Yibo and Youn shook their heads. "That's not like my brother. I can't believe all this. I'm not saying I don't believe you Cheng. But I don't think my brother really cheated on you. My brother would never act like that and not say anything either. He has a great sense of justice and would never have just let Meng Yao show up there and hurt you." Said Yibo in confusion.

"I've known Hai Kuan forever too and I second Yibo. I think something is wrong. Hai Kuan was always someone who was honest and stood up for others." Explained Youn.

"That's exactly what I think. So, that there is something wrong. I don't think Hai Kuan even knew Meng Yao was coming there either. And it didn't seem like he was really going to be with Meng Yao either. I saw the two of them leave and Hai Kuan kept at least 50 centimeters away from him. And that's more than strange, considering the two of them are supposedly a couple again." Cheng replied.