Chapter One - The boy on the balcony

I stood on the balcony of the hotel, my cigarette in between my red lips as I stared out over the vast gardens of the hotel. I took the cigarette out and blew the smoke out into the black sky. I sighed out, looking out at the beautiful trees and fields that were linked to the hotel. I wasn't anyone special, I was just a twenty-five-year-old woman who was here for my best friend's wedding to her dream guy. I was Haley's maid of honour, and I couldn't wait to help her marry the love of her life, Harrison. The only thing was that I saw the love that was between them, and all I wanted was to experience that myself. But all I had instead was a string of failed relationships, a string of guys who hadn't loved me or appreciated me like Harrison loved Haley. Of course I was so happy for my best friend and her soon-to-be husband, but I wanted to find that too. That was all that I wanted, and today at their rehearsal dinner was potentially the first chance that I'd get to find someone. That was what I hoped, anyway.

"Do you have a lighter?" I snapped out of my thoughts as a voice called out behind me. I turned around and my eyes widened at what I saw. The most stunning guy stood there, his gorgeous hazel curls falling slightly over the eyes that I knew were a beautiful chocolate, despite the fact that it was too dark to see them. And I knew what colour this stranger's eyes were...because this stranger was Tom Holland. Because that was something else about my best friend. Haley was marrying Harrison, Tom Holland's best friend. Despite having met Harrison a few times, I had never met his famous best mate, mainly because he travelled a lot. But I had to admit that Tom had always been my celebrity crush. The gorgeous and charming Londoner had a smile that warmed my heart, his laugh like music to my ears whenever I would see him on TV in movies, or watch a video with him in. I wasn't exactly upset about the fact that he'd been the first guy that I'd bumped into at this rehearsal dinner. But I knew that I had to play this cool. And so, that was what I would do. I snapped back again, Tom raising his eyebrow at me as if to silently ask the question again as he stood there with his hands in his black trouser pockets.

"Um, yeah." I nodded. He gave me a small smile as he walked forward and got the carton of cigarettes out of his pocket as he walked. He took a cigarette from the carton and put it in between his thin lips, my eyes staying on him as he appeared next to me. I gave him a small smile and handed him the lighter.

"Thank you." He returned my smile before putting a hand over the cigarette butt and lighting it. He handed back the lighter before standing next to me and looking out into the gardens like I had been doing only seconds before. I gulped and subtly looked at the gorgeous man who was standing next to me. Fuck, he's even more stunning in person, I thought as my eyes raked up and down his figure. His chocolate brown curls were being caught slightly by the wind, making them briefly fall over his eyes that were so gorgeous that I already wanted to drown in them.

"Beautiful night, isn't it?" he asked, the boy continuing looking out as he blew out the smoke.

"Yeah, yeah it is. Beautiful rehearsal dinner too." I nodded. He returned it before looking at me, his eyes flicking over my face as he did.

"So, who are you?" he asked. I looked at him, my mind slightly taken aback by the bluntness of his question.

"What?" I scoffed as I raised my eyebrow.

"Sorry, in terms of the bride and groom. How do you know them?" Tom clarified with a chuckle. I returned it and bit my lip.

"I'm the maid of honour. I'm Haley's best friend." I nodded. He raised his eyebrows and his mouth formed into an 'O' shape.

"Nice." He smiled.

"Yeah. I'm assuming that you're the best man, given that you're Harrison's best friend?" I asked. He looked at me, his lips slightly parting to blow out his cigarette smoke as he moved it from his lips.