39 | Lacuna

Silas

Silas

This past year has been the year with the most change, but also the best in my entire 27 years of life all because of Esme. The thought of finding someone I'd want to spend the rest of my life with crossed my mind a few times, but never did I think I would actually find her.

When Esme pointed to her empty ring finger at Delilah's shower nearly four weeks ago, I nearly proposed right then and there, but that wasn't the place nor time. Esme despises public displays of affection, and would have said no just because I proposed in front of people.

My nerves this past week have been going haywire for what was to come at the end of it. I asked Theya to take Esme to get her nails done, as well as any other maintenance things she needed done this week because tonight is the night I will propose to Esme.

My parents' marriage was arranged, and after a while, they found love in one another. I grew up thinking the same would happen for me, but my Pops decided I knew what I wanted best, and left it to me.

In my mind, I imagined inviting them to dinner to meet whomever I chose to settle down with, but life doesn't always go how we plan it.

Delilah recommended hiring their family party planner Mindy- who also did her shower- to set everything up, and couldn't be more grateful for the help. I know it meant a lot to May for her best friend and I to get along, and to my surprise, I too have found a friend in Dee.

"May?" I call out as I jog down the stairs, and she yells, "In the kitchen!"

Walking through the threshold of the kitchen, there sits Esem in her usual spot, in the chair by the window. Her hair is messily thrown into a bun sitting on top of her head, her legs criss crossed in the chair as she takes in another bite of her omelet. 

I kiss her temple, and she leans into me. I hurriedly take a forkful of her food, and she smacks my chest jokingly when she catches me.

"A car will pick you up at three sharp. There's a dress you have to wear in your closet. I'll meet you there." I inform her, somehow managing to sound normal.

She looks up at me with confusion written all over her face. "Where are we going, Silas?" Esme puts her chin in her hand, and looks at me expectantly.

I kiss the corner of her mouth, and make my way out of the house, but not before hearing her yell, "I'm not coming since you won't tell me, Silas!"

Jokes on her, she's already here.

Shaking my head, I chuckle because I know her wanting to know will overpower her will to not come.

My phone rings as I round my car and open the door, and when I look down, I see Milo is calling. "Hello?" I answer.

"Hey, are you ready for tonight?" Milo asks, and despite it being a simple question for most, it isn't an easy one for me on this particular day.