23 | It's pink

Esme

Esme

Everyone piles into Silas's office here at the warehouse, and confusion seems to be the emotion of choice among everyone.

"This is Stefano Rucci, the Don of the Italian Mafia, and second, Damon Bertelli. Both our Mafia's have been dealing with Maxim on our own turf. Today's situation has really put things into perspective, and I need to keep you all safe. Stefano has a house in Sassari, and you four will be on a jet to go there tonight."

Why is he being so cold and dismissive about this?

Delilah's head rears back. "Wait, Sardinia, as in Italy?"

Silas confirms with a stiff nod. Clearing his throat, Stefano directs his attention to us. "My wife and daughter will also be on the jet. We know you aren't familiar, but this is only until we can get this situation under control." I had to listen intently due to his thick accent, but I understood.

Both Silas and Milo know how much I don't like meeting new people, let alone flying to a new place, and living with said new people.

"Umm, do we have a choice?" Theya ask, her brows furrowed in concern.

"If you want to stay alive." Milo answers, and Genesis whips her head around to him, and sends him a look I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of.

My face has remained stoic through this entire lecture, not wanting to give away to these strangers how I'm really feeling.

"For how long?" I ask quietly, keeping my gaze on Silas, while he stares at his desk instead of at me. "We don't know."

Silas glances at me for half a second, and tells everyone to "excuse us". A few tears fall while everyone walks out, but I don't make a move to wipe them away.

"May, please don't cry. This will all be over soon."

Oh now he wants to be nice.

"You said that a month ago, and now look!" I breathe in deeply to calm myself, but it's no use. "I have to go live in Italy for who knows how long, away from everything I know!" I yell, and a look of defeat covers his face.

"I know what I said, but it's complicated, my hands are tied here."

I lift my hoodie over my head and cross my arms across my chest, "Fine, take me home so I can pack." I tell him bitterly, and he digs his keys out his pocket begrudgingly.

Silas

This is the quietest drive we have ever shared, and thank God it's over. Shutting off the engine, Esme reaches for the handle to hurry out the car, but my swift locking of the doors prohibits it.

"Silas. Let. Me. Out." She demands, keeping her body facing the door to avoid looking at me.

The entire time we've been together, I have opened the door for her. I don't know why she thinks that has changed just because she is upset. Esme falls back against the seat in defeat, and huff triumphantly.