thirty

AS THEY BOTH SAT calmly, wallowing in the silence high up, alfie thought about how javon had become her favourite person in such a short amount of time. there was something special about him that she couldn't quite put her finger on, but she knew it was there.

"i'll come and see you when i can." the boy beside her spoke, looking over at her with promising eyes. "i know you'll be busy with marvel and everything, but i'll try."

the girls chin rested on her knees as she smiled. "you don't have to. it's a long way from here to new york."

"i want to, though." he answered, "i want to see you as much as i can."

she hummed, a small laugh escaping her lips. "you'd really go through that much hassle just for me?"

he wanted to tell her that he'd walk through fire for her. but he couldn't, and he didn't. instead he answered, "of course i would. you're my best friend."

her smile faltered, and though she didn't really know why, she knew it was because he called her his 'best friend.' this bothered her for some odd reason, and she couldn't figure it out. "it's going to be weird not seeing you everyday." she replied.

he nodded in agreement, "no more taco thursday."

"FINAL CALL FOR PASSENGERS flying from los angeles city to new york city, flight DF02" the final announcement for alfie's plane was made

she turned to stand in front of javon, giving him a downcast smile. "this is it then." she swallowed, looking down at the ground, then back up to him.

he nodded slowly. "for now, anyway." he answered, reaching forwards to take her into his arms one last time. his chin rested on her shoulder, and hers on his. and there they stood, in the middle of the airport, holding each other like there was no tomorrow.

of course, there was a tomorrow. only, now they didn't have each other.