forty-four

HE HADN'T HEARD anything from alfie for a day, he was besides himself with worry. he didn't know what to do with himself as he waited for something, anything that told him that she was okay. he'd been searching through articles on the internet, but they told him nothing. he just wanted to hold her, nothing more.

he wondered if maybe she hadn't even boarded the plane, or maybe she got off safely. maybe she took a completely different plane altogether. maybe she lost her phone. maybe she was in hospital with minor injuries or possibly more severe. but any of those were better than the possibility that she might be... well, y'know.

he continued to text her, checking up on her every minute, constantly looking at his phone in case he'd missed a notification from her. looking at her instagram to check if she'd been active. asking the group chat if she'd spoken to any of them. he stayed up at night, refusing to go to sleep until he heard from her. he had to know that she was safe.

onwardwanna

onwardwanna
alfie
i don't know if you'll see this but
if you do please tell me
that you're okay.
19:02pm

i'm so worried about you
everyone is
19:23pm

please just call me when you can
19:46pm

alfie
20:12pm

alfie?
20:39pm

are you okay?
20:40pm

please tell me when you're safe
are you getting these?
20:58pm

alfie let me know if you're okay
21:32pm

call me
22:05pm

alf
23:48pm

please
alf
00:22am

shit
01:37am

are you there?
02:15am

is everything ok?
03:18am

i really hope you're okay
just call me or text or anything
when you get these
03:53am

alfie i really really hope you're safe
please say you're ok
are you hurt?
04:41am

have i done something?
to upset you?
05:28am

alfie are you there
delivered 06:36am

incoming call: alfie becket

javon's heart sunk with relief when he read her name on his phone screen, immediately sliding the green "answer" icon and lifting the device to his ear. he exhaled in anticipation, "alfie." his breathing was heavy. "i was so worried about you-"

he was interrupted by a voice on the other end, one that he didn't recognise. "is this javon?" the voice asked, "this is alfie's mom."

he placed his head in his hand, closing his eyes in hope that everything was okay. "yeah, it's me." he swallowed, "is she okay?" he questioned, his heart beating faster than ever. there was only static on the line as alfie's mother hesitated. his breath hitched at the lack of response as he stood up from his seat.

he could hear alfie's mother sigh, a small sob coming from the other end of the phone. she took a few struggled breaths in, then answered. "i'm so sorry."