thirty-seven

HE DIDN'T THINK HE could contain himself much longer. alfie was leaving again in a day, and he didn't know when he would see her again, being that this was the last euphoria event of the season. he wanted to do something about it. he wanted to tell her how he felt, he just didn't know how.

"no matter how many times i come up here, i never get used to how beautiful it is. it just gets better every time." she said, voice almost at a whisper. "i wish i could stay here forever."

he swallowed, "i wish you could too."

"i remember when we'd come up here every chance we got. i looked forward to it everyday." she closed her eyes, feeling the soft breeze against her cheeks as she took a deep breath in. "it feels like years ago."

he couldn't take his eyes off her, she looked so serene. "it does, doesn't it?" he ran his tongue along his lip, thinking about what to say next. he could've said a million things, he wanted to say a million things. but he didn't. he said nothing, and neither did she.

it was completely silent, only the sound of the wind passing through the grass on the hillside. the night was still young, and the sun was barely below the horizon. the sky was painted with hues of orange and red, almost like a large canvas. the view was perfect, but she was unreal.

he let his thoughts take control of himself as he lifted his hand slowly, raising his index finger to push stray hairs behind her ear. he didn't know why he did it, but it just happened. she opened her eyes, turning to face him as he pulled his hand away in embarrassment.

she swallowed consciously as she reached forward with hesitancy, taking his hand in hers. she lifted it to her cheek, interlocking her fingers with his as he looked into her eyes, his palm against her face. slowly but surely, he leaned in, eyes shifting from hers, down to her lips, pausing every now and then to check that she wasn't reluctant. they drew closer and closer, until her eyes sealed shut.

and finally, his lips met with hers.

i struggled to write this chapter so much. i didn't know how to explain it with making it cheesy but oh well.