Chapter 19

But no pressure, I think to myself after Octavia's comment. Somehow, being silently sarcastic to myself slightly lightens the tension, and my stiff shoulders relax. I take a deep breath in, and without wasting anymore time, I yank at the spear. I make sure I pull it straight up, not do damage anything else under Bellamy's flesh. I wince as the pressure on my left shoulder—the one that had been struck by the arrow—shoots a stinging pain through my arm.
To my relief, the sharp stick comes sliding right out of Bellamy's thigh.
I exhale, smiling from ear to ear. I allow myself to stop and be thankful for all of three seconds before quickly wrapping a thick bandage around Bellamy's bleeding leg and moving on to the arrow sticking out of his upper-stomach. A sigh of relief floods from my mouth when I notice he wasn't hit anywhere too bad: the arrow hit his highest rib, and it wasn't strong enough to break it. It must have been a pretty weak blow.
This stick is much less deep than the spear, so I have no problem removing it after I disinfect his wound.
I only look up at Octavia and Murphy once I'm finished.
Murphy looks relieved and tranquil. Octavia has tears in her eyes. "Thank you, Clarke," she says, wrapping her arms around me. She plants a kiss on my cheek and pulls away, turning her attention back to Bellamy.
"Any time," I reply, laughing weakly.
Murphy smiles and pats Bellamy gently on his shoulder. "Come on, Clarke. It's your turn to get some rest," he says. He places his arm gently on my back and walks with me out of the dropship. Before leaving, I turn around.
"Octavia, if he wakes up or starts moving or begins to-"
"Don't worry, Clarke," she cuts me off. "I'll get you if something's wrong."
"Okay," I nod, smiling.
Then I follow Murphy out of the ship and back to my tent, where I lay down in my sleeping bag. I fall asleep instantly.