Chapter 54

I jerk awake to the sound of someone pounding on the door.
"What the hell?" Bellamy grunts, rubbing his eyes.
We both get up, heading to the door. I nervously place my hand on the doorknob and turn it slowly. As soon as it's unlocked, Jasper bursts into the room. His expression is scared and he's out of breath.
"Octavia's not here?" Jasper sputters.
"What? What are you talking about?" Bellamy asks, worry in his deep voice.
"After you guys left, we finished eating. Then Octavia said she was going to go see you," explains Jasper, looking at Bellamy. "She wanted to ask you something. She said she'd meet up with us later."
I check my watch. "That means she's been gone for almost five hours."
"And she's not back at your house?" Bellamy asks Jasper, who shakes his head.
"She could be off exploring. We might be freaking out for nothing," I say, putting an arm around Bellamy's shoulders.
He takes a step forward, letting my arm drop. "Nothing?" he shouts angrily. "My sister could be lost, or even dead for all we know. You know that the grounders have no problem slaughtering us."
"Not the ones living here. They welcomed us into their village with open arms. They wouldn't hurt Octavia," I tell him, trying not to be hurt by his mean tone.
"Why are you always so ignorant, Clarke? Stop acting like you know these people. You don't."
"Octavia is strong and responsible," I continue. "I'm sure she's okay."
"Well we'd know if she was okay if I had stayed with her. If you hadn't thrown yourself a pity party, I would've stayed last night and Octavia wouldn't have gone off alone."
Jasper's eyes widen even more and I feel my eyes start to well up.
"I'm going to go find her. You don't have to come," says Bellamy, swinging the door open and walking off.
"Are you okay, Clarke?" Jasper asks cautiously. He looks at me sympathetically.
"I'm fine," I lie. "Come on, let's go."

***

We meat up with Monty, who stayed back at their place in case Octavia came back.
"No luck?" He asks us as we walk in.
Jasper shakes his head.
"So what's the plan?" We all look at Bellamy.
"We walk around the village. Talk to Tuscany if we have to. I'm going to do everything I have to to find Octavia."
"Let's split up," I suggest. "In groups of two. We can walk around, and ask people if they saw Octavia."
"It's like the middle of the night. There probably won't be that many people outside," Jasper reminds us.
"Well do you have a better suggestion?" Bellamy snaps, making Jasper jump. He shakes his head.
"Jasper and I can look around outside," says Monty.
That leaves me with Bellamy. Maybe I can calm him down a bit when we're alone.
"We can start by looking in the tower," says Bellamy, referring to the tall building at the centre of Polis.
Jasper and Monty hurry off. I don't blame them. Bellamy's acting rude and aggressive. I don't really feel like being around him either, but I'm doing this for Octavia. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if she got hurt and I didn't do anything to help prevent it.
We walk towards the tower in silence. Bellamy shows no sign of any emotion and looks ahead.
"Bellamy..." I say softly, taking his hand and squeezing it in an attempt to comfort him. He pulls it back after a second, shooting me a glare.
"You might be fine about Octavia's disappearance, but I'm not. This is actually a big deal to me."
"God, Bellamy, stop being such a dick!" I huff, and his expressions turns even angrier.
"I'm being a dick?"
"Yeah, you are," I reply, crossing my arms over my chest. "I'm trying to help, and you know that. But it's always the same story with you. As soon as you're the one who needs help, you push me away. Let me help you."
For a second, it looks like he's going to let me in. But then he looks ahead and continues to walk. "You know how you could help? Stop distracting me and help me find my sister."
I watch him walk away for a few seconds, finally letting his mean words sink in, before following him.
He stops abruptly, and I almost bump into him. "What is it?" I ask him.
He doesn't answer, but starts to walk towards a house just a bit bigger than ours. I listen closely, and gasp when I hear Octavia's distinct voice.
Bellamy starts to pound his fist against the door. "If you don't open up, I'll kick it down!" He shouts. The door swings open and Octavia rushes out.
"Bellamy? What are you doing here?"
"O, you're okay," he sighs, flinging his arms around her.
"Yeah... Were you guys looking for me?"
Bellamy lets go of her, and the relief on his face is replaced by anger. "Of course we were! You disappeared! You didn't tell anyone where you were going. Monty and Jasper have been looking for you all night, we didn't know if you were—"
A tall man walks out of the house at that moment, and Bellamy stops talking.
"Who the hell is this?"
"This is Lincoln," Octavia tells him nervously. "Lincoln, this is my brother Bellamy, and she's Clarke."
Lincoln smiles and nods to him, and then to me.
"I met him before dinner. After you guys left, he showed me around the village for a bit and then we came back here. He made this delicious drink made of—"
"You can't just run off like that, Octavia," Bellamy cuts her off. "You can't just disappear to go hang out with some grounder you just met."
"I know. I'm sorry. I'll tell you guys next time," she replies sincerely.
"Next time? You're not going to his house again."
"Excuse me?" Her voice is as intense as his now. "You can't tell me what to do. Lincoln's my friend, and I can take care of myself."
"Octavia, it's not safe. I won't let you—"
"Let me?" she practically shouts. "You can't stop me. I won't let you tell me what to do."
Bellamy glares at her, but she glares back with just as much anger.
"Fine," Bellamy spits, turning and walking the other way.
"Sorry about that," Octavia says to Lincoln.
"It's fine. So he's a bit overprotective," he shrugs and Octavia smiles. The way she looks at him makes it seem like she's already in love.

A/N
So the way they meet isn't quite like it is on the show, but I needed to include some Linctavia into my book😊
-Haley