Chapter 10. Uprooted

A crackling fire dimly lit the drawing room at Malfoy Manor, its dancing flames casting their fluid light on a frail figure draped in faded black robes. The figure stared out of a large arched window, casting their beady eyes over the moonlit grounds of the manor. A knock at the door drew their attention.

            "Come in... Lucius," The figure called out, their voice raspy and wheezy. The timid caricature of Lucius Malfoy slipped into the room; head bowed.

            "My lord," Lucius greeted the waif like man, who in turn twisted his form around to acknowledge his disciple.

            "You have news Lucius?" They asked, Lucius nodded his head slowly, keeping his eyes low.

            "I do, My Lord," Lucius croaked. The figure before him slowly glided across the room to his arm chair by the fire side and lowered their slender frame into its leather seat with a creak. Lucius cautiously approached the arm chair, his cheeks growing hotter and hotter as he neared the fire.

            "Go on, Lucius, is it the girl? Or have you finally infiltrated the department of mysteries?" The Dark Lord asked, Lucius hesitated to answer, he swallowed hard before answering.

            "It's the girl My Lord," Lucius answered.

            "You have been successful?"

            "I have My Lord," Lucius closed his eyes for a second and focussed on his breathing. "She is right where she needs to be,"

            "I see..." The Lord Voldemort whispered; a small wicked smile suddenly turned up a single corner of his thin lips. "You bedded her?" Lucius inhaled deeply at his master's question, he ran his tongue across his teeth, his jaw tensed.

            "I did, My Lord," Lucius answered obediently. The Dark Lord let out a low chuckle.

"Do not pretend it was a chore Lucius, I've heard of her beauty, I bet she was quite the treat, was she not?" Voldemort mused. Lucius clenched his fist, his knuckles turning as white as his master's skin.

"She was... pleasant," Lucius breathed, down-playing his night with the girl. Voldemort tutted at his response.

"Did you learn anything from her?" Voldemort asked, leaning his elbows on the arms of his chair and intertwining his bony fingers.

"She is strong in the art of occlumency; however, she lets her guard down when she's asleep. I found that she's been acting as a spy on her father's orders, her mark is... Severus," Lucius revealed. Voldemort snorted in reply.

"If the Order do not trust him then he is useless in that role," Voldemort sneered.

"Not the Order, just old Mad-Eye, his opinion means nothing without evidence." Lucius did his best to protect his old friend, "And she will find no evidence of Severus' true loyalty, he is meticulous,"

"Was there anything else?" The Dark Lord asked, Lucius hesitated before nodding.

            "The girl..." Lucius gulped, "She has a heart condition,"

            "Why would her health interest me Lucius?" Voldemort scolded, he was sick of being fed non-information, useless drivel that was of no use to him.

            "It's an inherited condition My Lord, passed down from her mother." Lucius informed the frail man whose eyes widened with realisation at his loyal followers' words.

            "A blood malediction?" Voldemort wondered aloud as he stared into the dancing flames inside the green marble fireplace.

            "I suspect as much My Lord,"