Chapter 28. Avada Kedavra

"No, no, no, Astrid, please no," Camille sobbed and whimpered from her knees, tears fell down her cheeks, mixing with the blood and dirt that splattered them. Astrid was frozen, struggling for breath she stared sadly at her old friend. Lucius gritted his teeth, glowering at his old friend who had slunk to the back of the crowd, his back against the dark wall.

            "I cannot," Astrid whispered breathily, her words barely audible.

            "You must," Voldemort cooed, he released her hand and circled her frozen body, eventually coming to a standstill behind her back. He lowered his sickly mouth to her ear and whispered. "You must... or it will be you who dies... choose."

            Astrid closed her eyes, she felt as if her body was swaying, her head feeling light. Lucius made a move for her but Voldemort thrust out his hand, ordering Lucius back to halt.

            "No!" Voldemort seethed, "She will do this,"

            "My Lord, she is not well... the child takes its toll, perhaps-" Lucius pleaded.

            "Enough!" The Dark Lord ordered, Lucius didn't finish his sentence, the words just stopped pouring out. The Dark Lord ran his hands up Astrid's arms and gripped her steadily by the shoulders, causing the hairs on her neck to stand on end with disgust. "Stand strong Astrid dear," Voldemort whispered into her ear, more tears slipped down her cheeks as she opened her eyes to see Camille, terrified, begging for her life just a few feet away.

            "I cannot," Astrid repeated. Voldemort wasn't taking no for an answer, reaching into his robe he pulled out his hideous wand and thrust it into her hands just as he had that day with the cruciatus curse. It felt alien in her hand, disgusting in her fingers, it made her want to throw it away from her, but she dared not for fear of his wrath. Her hands trembled as the Dark Lord took her hand and raised it, pointing it at Camille.

            "Here," Voldemort purred, "You're a smart girl, you know the words,"

            Astrid shook her head no, her hair tickling the Dark Lord's neck as he leaned in to her.

            "Do it!" He hissed. He looked to Lucius for reinforcement, his deathly stare commanding him to urge the girl on.

            "You must Astrid... you must do it... for us," Lucius told her weakly. She shook her head and let out a cry.

            "No, I cannot, I will not... please... please let her go," she sobbed. The crowd smiled, some even chuckled, at her weak display.

            "If you will not complete your task..." Voldemort hissed fiercely in her ear, "Then I will do it for you..." He forcefully ripped his wand from her grasp and shoved Astrid's petite frame aside, sending her tumbling down to the floor with a yelp.

"Avada Kedavra!" The Dark Lord wheezed loudly, stabbing his wand at Camille. A large flash of green light emitted from its end, blinding Astrid temporarily, forcing her to look away.

When Astrid looked up, no longer dazed, she caught the sight of Camille's body limply dropping forward onto the floor, crumpling under herself face down into the cold black wood. Astrid let out a bone rattling scream, one that made Lucius pale with guilt and sadness. That scream, so deeply filled with pain, would haunt his dreams every night to come.

The Dark Lord chuckled as Astrid dragged herself across the floor to Camille, she turned her over as best she could with her limited strength and mobility.

"Camille? Camille, oh Camille," Astrid sobbed as she pushed Camille's dark blonde locks out of her face, her hair crispy with dirt and dried blood. Astrid caressed her cheek lightly, before giving her a small pat, and then another, and another.